1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Numeracy workshop for parents....

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by golfpro26, Jan 23, 2011.

1. hi all....I am intending to run a Parents' Workshop to model how numeracy is taught in KS1. Has anyone done this before and if so, what did you cover and do you have any resources I could use?? (if you didnt already guess, new to leading Numeracy!)

2. hi all....I am intending to run a Parents' Workshop to model how numeracy is taught in KS1. Has anyone done this before and if so, what did you cover and do you have any resources I could use?? (if you didnt already guess, new to leading Numeracy!)

3. I have not done this before but I think it would be great if you organise the parents into groups and run some activities with them that the students would be doing.

4. Seems an increasing number of people being employed to lead fields they have no experience in (and that is not a dig at the OP)
    I thought it was: Know Numeracy and its teaching < show an aptitude for it over a period of time as a teacher < learn about the job at a higher level (ie involving ideas to branch out to parents) < get put in charge of it in the school?
    Here is your first port of call
    http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/110240
    They do these for all years
    http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/181408
    IMO its not about an evening per se, its about an onging process (best done via the internet from experience) and getting parents on board yet not putting them in a position where they feel inadequate.
    I think I have had 2 parents take their GCSE maths again as a result of getting involved with online activities to help their kids

5. LiamD

LiamD New commenter

Excellent post Betamale.
    I've run 'How to help your kids revise for GCSE Maths' evenings. Similar experiences re. getting them onboard without making them feel inadequate. Some of the parents have gone on to sit GCSE alongside their offspring.

6. CB123

CB123 New commenter

Last year I did a parents workshop and I am repeating it this year. However, I aimed mine at KS2. To be honest I just went through the strategies we use in school for basic calcualtions as a lot of our parents are very old school and are teaching children methods the children dont understand eg long multiplication rather than the grid. I also gave them ideas of little activities they could do at home to encourage the childrne to develop their maths skills

7. I went to one as a parent and the numneracy person went through how to add on a number line etc, and got parents to answer questions as though they were children.