1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Numeracy steps/ stages/ checklist?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by badviolinist, May 11, 2020.

1. badviolinist

badviolinist New commenter

Posting as a mum to a child in reception and a child with SEN. I understand the steps/ stage in learning to read/ write...letters and sounds etc. I don't feel I have a real grasp of the steps/ stages involved with numeracy. My child in reception has been set some great work that is suitable for my older child with SEN but when you move into the next week do you seek to consolidate the work from the previous week or move on? Do you try to build the next step as a means to build the picture of numbers or just move onto the next area of understanding. I am a secondary teacher/ now a home schooler and I'd like some sort of plan/ chart to work through so I can see how it all fits together.
    Hope this makes sense to my Early Years/ Keys Stage 1 colleagues... Thanks.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

In school reception will likely be taught by following their own interests and next steps and happens via play. What is being sent home is highly unlikely to be anything like what actually goes on in school.

Some schools teach as a number a week and others follow a published scheme (fewer these days, but some still do.) and others use DM objectives and work with small groups on their own next steps.

Children tend to pick up maths via play. So while playing with water, they might be taught full/empty/half full and heavier/lighter. While playing with soft toys or dolls, the adult encourages counting if setting up a picnic with plates and so on.

Speaking to your child's teacher would be much more useful.

3. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

Play some simple dice games - use both a die with dots & another with digits if you can. Games like snakes & ladders, ludo etc. Helps them develop a sense of number & lots of counting. Seem to be quite a range of board templates on the internet. If they get on really well with one die, you could use two and have some adding going on too.

Adapt a board with some 'Land on this & go back n squares' too.

If they're into something - dinosaurs, toy cars, raisins, daisy flower heads... you could do some 'can you show me n dinosaurs?' activities, including 'so there are five cars, if you have two more', how many are there now?' and 'Mummy has seven chocolate drops. When she's scoffed three of them, how many are left?'

As well as counting and number recognition activities, try and include as much maths language as you can - and do that in every day activities too. How many more, how many less, total, sum, greater than, less than. When comparing amounts/numbers, if possible line the objects up in two rows, matching pairs until the difference can be clearly see,

'You had 7, I had 5, look, you've got 2 more than me, I have 2 less than you.'

Good luck!

4. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

None, because daddy swiped the rest! :D:D

Piscean1 likes this.
  6. DFC

DFC New commenter