1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Numeracy Passport

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rusty238, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Would anyone be kind enough to share their experiences of running the numeracy passport in their classroom? I'm thrying to get my head around how it will work...

2. sad no one replied id love to know this too

3. Maybe it was my spelling!
    Anyway, we just went ahead and had a go. I'm not convinced that we are using the best method, but children are progressing through the continents although some are more intensive than others. It has also highlighted that the children learn tables facts, but not so much the more difficult doubling/halving facts.

4. Never heard of it! More details please[​IMG]

5. Id like to know more too. it seems to be a system for learning tables and other mental facts and they work there way around the continents using a passport moving up a series of harder tasks. Its linked to Ray Maher the maths consultant who works in conjunction with fiery ideas and theres a maths piece of software on there linked to it. Id like to know how people use it and wehre they got it from though

6. I've been using it quite regularly this year - but find it almost impossible in a full class without my TA

Each child works on their own individual target, but I do try to pair the children up, so that they have someone to work with - they work out the answers primarily, then test each other, or work against each other to see who can finish first! They enjoy the competitive element, but also being able to work at their own level.
    I've tried getting them all to race the clock, all at the same time, but on their individual target, with varying successes (I find they often learn the order of the answers, rather than the fact itself, so I ask questions out of order when assessing their learning)
    I now get my TA to work her way round 3/5 of the class, one at a time, whilst each child is working independently, and I work with one or two of my numeracy groups to (try to) give some good quality teaching of a mental maths strategy (doubling & halving numbers linked to the known facts/ multiplying by 10/100/ using known facts to multiply by a tens number).

We have also recently introduced timed challenges - initially linked to number bonds to 10 and 20 and now tables. The idea is the child does the same activity sheet each week, against the clock, with the aim of beating their target the following week (their target, and no one else's). I had 20 bonds to 10 in 30 seconds, 40 bonds to 20 in 60 seconds, and we are aiming for 50 2,5 and 10 tables facts in 60 seconds. The children who make the best progress are those who pick 3 tricky facts a week (with the inverses) and make sure they learn them for the following week.

7. We have been using the passport for a month or so, not sure how older pupils feel about it but some of my children love it whereas some are reduced to tears at the idea of a timer. On a recent course LEA advisor said FS/year 1 should not be using the passport as it is assessment of learning not assessment for learning and contradicted APP, numbers and patterns, EYFS etc which we are trying to implement in Y1. I find it very hard to find the time to assess in Y1 as they need to do it 1-1 or in very small groups, we have been advised to do it during the numeracy lesson time but that takes away from teaching time in a big way as the children need to be assessed three times on each target over many days. It seems alot of paperwork for proving what i can say already about my children. I know which children can rhyme off 1 more/less or number bond facts in 30 seconds and which ones cant.

8. We got ours from a maths advisor that came to do some training. Came with fiery ideas software too. [​IMG]

9. But surely all teachers are focused on assessment for learning across school however sometimes you need to assess factual learning such as number bonds and tables to ensure they have it.

Can see why it might be time consuming but can also see that its something parents are likely to be able to help children learn at home and we all know that if children have these basic number facts at their finger tips later on it makes life so much easier for them.

Has anyone found simple ways to administer it?

10. anyone else

11. Please see my post on the other site, where i have xplained how we use it in my school.

12. ive read that and it was really useful thank you just checking no one else has ideas. Other site being PTRC

13. Thank you. Very useful and the site in general!

14. Our school has a dedicated lesson working on passports and checking passports each week.
    Its really good and the children enjoy the challenge.
    They can work with friends on mutual targets of chllenge each other.
    In ks2 the chilkdren are tested in groups on the same target, in year 1 we work as individuals and do manage to get through the whole class on 1 to 1 basis with the hlep of TA.
    We aslo have atermly assembly to present certificatesonce passports are completed and parent are invited to celebrate their childrens achievments.

15. Trapin1

Trapin1 New commenter

Not sure if this is the same or similar passport earlier posters are talking about but it has targets assigned to continents. http://www.dessdubai.com/mathematics/passport/maths_passport.html