1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

numeracy observation - estimating

Discussion in 'Primary' started by smarties0483, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I have an observation coming up this week in year 1 and year 2 mixed, and I will be doing estimating and counting in groups of 2, 5 and 10. These are my ideas so far, does it sound ok?
    MOS: need a fun interactive starter, I’m struggling, any ideas?
    Main: hopefully (if board is working!) an IWB activity estimating the number of objects the chn can see (initially up to 10), hiding the objects while we estimate, and then counting, moving on to estimating number of objects up to 20. Explain that an estimate just needs to be a good guess. See how the chn count the objects, explain that there is a quicker way – counting into groups of 2 or 5 or 10. Repeat with examples.
    Group work: Lower year 1: estimating objects in different pots up to 20, recording estimate and actual count, count in groups of 2.
    Higher year 1: As above but up to 30 objects, counting in groups of 2 and 10.
    Year 2: Up to 100 objects for most able, estimating then counting in groups of 10. Extend them to find the difference between their estimate and the actual number, then estimating how many objects it will take to fill half of different containers,
    How does this sound? I’m concerned that it sounds a bit boring but I’m struggling for inspiration a bit on this!
    Many thanks for any advice!
    Smarties

2. Hi all,
    I have an observation coming up this week in year 1 and year 2 mixed, and I will be doing estimating and counting in groups of 2, 5 and 10. These are my ideas so far, does it sound ok?
    MOS: need a fun interactive starter, I’m struggling, any ideas?
    Main: hopefully (if board is working!) an IWB activity estimating the number of objects the chn can see (initially up to 10), hiding the objects while we estimate, and then counting, moving on to estimating number of objects up to 20. Explain that an estimate just needs to be a good guess. See how the chn count the objects, explain that there is a quicker way – counting into groups of 2 or 5 or 10. Repeat with examples.
    Group work: Lower year 1: estimating objects in different pots up to 20, recording estimate and actual count, count in groups of 2.
    Higher year 1: As above but up to 30 objects, counting in groups of 2 and 10.
    Year 2: Up to 100 objects for most able, estimating then counting in groups of 10. Extend them to find the difference between their estimate and the actual number, then estimating how many objects it will take to fill half of different containers,
    How does this sound? I’m concerned that it sounds a bit boring but I’m struggling for inspiration a bit on this!
    Many thanks for any advice!
    Smarties

3. You can do a stand up/sit down activity for your starter link to (if you think this picture/pot has more than 20 in it stand up, less than 20 sit down). Extend MA by encouraging other vocab for more than/less than (greater, larger, fewer)

Alternatively you could do an ordering activity where children hold pictures and have to order their estimates.

I do hope you're somehow involving an 'estimate how many sweets in the jar' type activity, particularly given your username!