1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Numeracy obs sequence- any ideas?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ev11, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Hey all- have got a numeray obs on Thurs morning and would really appreicate your advice as have been told by my person 'make sure its good.' No pressure then- past observations havent been going down so well so need a good un.
    Am starting b2 so can do number or shape sequences, does anyone have any good ieaS?
    am thinking of doing the usual, what is the difference between the numbers/shapes, how might we work this out? Feel I might need to extend them on the carpet from the usual, want to make it a little bit differennt. Have abilities from yr2 to high year 5 so its hard to pitch.

Thinking for LA plus- doing something practical and highers doing like an invesitgation.
    Is that ok to then let the poor middles do soemthing 'ordinary?'
    Please take pity! xxx

2. Hey all- have got a numeray obs on Thurs morning and would really appreicate your advice as have been told by my person 'make sure its good.' No pressure then- past observations havent been going down so well so need a good un.
    Am starting b2 so can do number or shape sequences, does anyone have any good ieaS?
    am thinking of doing the usual, what is the difference between the numbers/shapes, how might we work this out? Feel I might need to extend them on the carpet from the usual, want to make it a little bit differennt. Have abilities from yr2 to high year 5 so its hard to pitch.

Thinking for LA plus- doing something practical and highers doing like an invesitgation.
    Is that ok to then let the poor middles do soemthing 'ordinary?'
    Please take pity! xxx

3. Year 2 to 5? Thats a hard one!
    I'm being observed in B2 next week 2. I've got 4 activities (in Year 1)
    With me - sorting shapes into Venn/disjoint sets and giving reasons
    With TA - shape "guess who" (e.g. has it got 3 sides? no)
    Independent 1 - repeating shape patterns with cut out shapes
    Independent 2 - using laptops to create tesselating patterns on TESiboard.

Hope this gives a little inspiration. If not... good luck anyway! [​IMG]

4. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

A lovely number sequence activity is to get them to work out the square numbers and then look at the gaps between them. This generates the odd numbers!
    Of course, to make it more memorable and kinaesthetic you should get them to make the squares with cubes first, then compare.
    Bit brief description (still supposed to be doing tax return!), but it's a good lesson. Hope it makes sense. Let me know if it reads like gobblydegook and I will try to explain it better!

5. oh - have just been doing that - then you can turn it round and add the odd numbers to find the higher squares (making sure you get to 400 on the way)

6. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Lovely idea! I made up some L-shaped bits of ply called 'Squodd Numbers' to demonstrate this once. Clearly had too much time on my hands, but each could be added to the previous to build up successive squares - children hold them and build up a chessboard. Again, easier to do than describe!

7. It is yes- I will have to try the square numbers thing in my head- although they havent been introduced to them yet so ,aybe that will be my focus group with highers. I am getting scared! Thank you all for your advice xx