1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Numeracy Medium Term plan

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pinkang, Sep 6, 2011.

1. pinkang

pinkang New commenter

Hi all Im wondering if someone can help. Im a part time teacher - teaching Year 1, my first experience of this year group. Im job sharing with a guy who is in the same position as me. We have put together a LT plan/overview so we know what were teaching and when. However we need to produce a Medium term plan for numeracy and literacy, to hand to the co-ordinators. Would anyone happen to have a Medium Term plan for these areas that I could look at. Once I know how to do it im sure I will be fine, just need something to start from as Im new to all of this. In literacy were starting with 'Stories with Familiar settings'. I just dont know where to begin. Thanks x

2. Wuzzy

Wuzzy New commenter

If your school is still following the Numeracy strategy, a good start point is to aim to cover the main objectives from Units A1 - E1 (Autumn Term), A2 - E2 (spring term), A3 - E2 summer term. My last school did them in order i.e. start with Unit A1, look at the number of weeks suggested for that unit, look at the objectives, plan from those, with with particular emphasis on end of year objectives.
    Our MTPs were just Week1 - Unit A1, Week 2 Unit A2 etc. Our weekly plans were the ones where we put in detail the objectives to be covered each day, differentiated work and success criteria, along with who was working with which group etc etc.
    WIth the job sharing, which I have done several times in Year 1, we took it in turn to plan the lit and maths (sometimes half termly, sometimes termly). The advantage of this for maths is that if a day gets missed for any reason you can move it all on one day without a problem (as long as you let your job share know where you are up to!), likewise, if you need to repeat a day you have the flexibility to do so. Sometimes I used to plan in 4 days and leave the 5th 'free' for catch up or problem solving or games, v. useful for year 1 if you have a group that really haven't got it and you want to work with them again while others practise new skills they have learned that week through playing games.
    One thing to bear in mind is how much repetition and explanation of mathematical terms will be needed - e.g. all the different ways of saying 'add'.
    WRT useful resources in ICT - www.ictgames.co.uk has all sorts of useful games that you can play as a class or at computers in pairs.

Hope this is of some use to you.
    Enjoy Year 1 and job sharing