1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

numeracy level 1a

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mystery10, Feb 14, 2011.

1. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Please could someone point me to somewhere I can get a description of the sorts of things (as specific as possible) that a child would need to be able to do to be assessed by a teacher as level 1a in numeracy.

Thanks

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

3. mystery10

Thank you, that was useful. Is there anything that goes into this in a bit more detail e.g. when it says addition and subtraction using up to 10 objects, does it mean up to 10 + 10, or addition which results in a sum of a maximum of 10?
    And when it talks about seeing patterns what does it mean?
    And when it talks about every day language of position, what is considered to be everyday language? etc etc

Thank you

4. It means that if you give them an addition like 5 + 4 they would know how to go about doing it. So they have a basic knowledge of addition and if they get it wrong it is not the big numbers confusing them it is conceptual. Saying this, in my experience children working at high level 1 (1a) are able to add with bigger numbers, up to 30 or even beyond. There is a big leap from level 1 (up to 10) to level 2 (up to 100) and I find that at high level 1 children are started to work comfortably with 2 digit numbers.

Everyday language of position means they understand and use words like 'above', 'under', 'behind' 'next to' 'in front of' etc,

5. mystery10

Thank you. And should they be doing all the addition and subtraction completely in their heads, or by counting on and back with fingers or numberline, or using pictures on a piece of paper, as well as being able to record the final thing as:
    5+4=9 for example.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

7. mystery10

OK, so you are saying that they can get a high 1 by doing everything with concrete objects. Do they need to be able to write the equations down?

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

9. mystery10

Fabulous, exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I don't seem to have much luck on those websites finding the really useful stuff, it's all buried amongst loads of other stuff I get lost in.