1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Numeracy investigations

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MillyStar, Jul 9, 2011.

1. MillyStar

MillyStar New commenter

Hello, we have ofsted monday/Tuesday. I am a bit concerned about my numeracy. I am in year 4. We have been doing the compact method in num so on Monday I thought I would go over this and the lows and middles can practise and I'll teach the tops the 2 digit by 2 digit method, then on Tuesday I want them to apply the skill which I thought they could do through an investigation. What does everyone think? I need some investigation ideas. Thanks

2. MillyStar

MillyStar New commenter

Sorry I mean the compact method for multiplication so need multiplication investigation ideas!

3. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

To practise the skill, they need to do loads of them over and over. So the best I can think of, as an investigation, would be to give them four digits such as 2, 3, 4 and 5 and tell them to use them to make the largest and smallest products. I.e. Try 23x45 etc

4. I know this does exactly what you need but you could adapt it. (Look at the cookie monster / subtraction resource I have added.)
    My last lesson ob was like the one you described. Lower/ middle worked through questions and I gave higher a crack the code activity.
    I start by working out the secret message, they love rub your tummy and tap your head and then I write a clue for each letter. Some clues need them to use an answer from another question to solve it. Look at the resources I have added as it will give you a clearer idea of what I am going on about!
    RLB xxxx Good Luck

5. MillyStar

MillyStar New commenter

Thank you very much for your ideas. I will look at the resources!