1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Numeracy in the English classroom

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by kayleighmooremoore, Sep 25, 2019.

1. kayleighmooremoore

kayleighmooremoore New commenter

Hi folks,

How can I demonstrate that I have supported students' numeracy achievement?

As an English teacher, I obviously focus more on literacy skills.

Any effective strategies for this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I recall a long time ago when our lesson plans ( mainstream Secondary) had to address / highlight routinely opportunities to exploit literacy / numeracy too ( I was a linguist ) as well as SMSC (this was in response to HMI visits /Measures) Sometimes it felt rather contrived !?

Dodros likes this.
  4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I don't think it's much help to contrive activities so that you can tick the numeracy box. But exploit any opportunities that come your way - some are mentioned in the other thread above - because those will demonstrate that maths is useful in real life.

Groups - 27 of you today - I want groups of 4 - will that work? What size groups could we have so they're all the same size?
    Time - we're going to spend 25 minutes on this - when will that be up?
    Percentages - allow tests to be out of different amounts. How can we compare? How do we turn a mark out of 10 into a percentage? How do we turn a mark out of 11 into a percentage?
    Word counts and estimating them by sampling lines.
    Five minute speech - roughly how long does that need to be on paper?
    At the rate we're reading, are we going to finish this novel this term? (I have bad memories of never finishing Dickens novels at school...)
    Persuasive writing - have some facts and figures they can use, and encourage them to include some statistics as part of their writing. Look at headlines with statistics in and look at what you can work out from them. "A third of schools..." - how many schools is that? What sounds worse/better - the raw number or the proportion?

tb9605, gillypearson and strawbs like this.