1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Numeracy in new EYFS

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by susieb, Mar 29, 2012.

1. What planet are these people on including Year 2 objectives! Doubling and halving? Year 1 only use numbers to 10 on APP so why does |Reception have to use numbers to 20?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Recognises, counts, orders, writes and uses numbers up to 20. - current
    children count reliably with numbers from 1 to 20, place them in order - new

3. Because they are raising the bar in maths, I expect that the new national curriculum for level one will be harder as the new ELG's now match the level one expectations.[​IMG]
    I am doing lots more work on recognising teen numbers, with my foundation class, than I did last year I am not sure how many will get the ELG but most already would have met the old ELGs. Of course more time on this means other things are not getting as much time.
    I am not looking forwards to explaining to the parents of a happy, average ability FS child that they have not met the expected level for the end of the first year in school, where last year I would have said they have met their ELGs
    BONKERS!!!
    and who invented teen numbers anyway, fiveteen sounds about right to me [​IMG]

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I agree. If a child says fiveteen, threeteen etc. I will tell them that this is not how we say it but I think itshows they are beginning to take on the idea of place value (as in seeing the pattern emerge).

5. I remember it being quite heavily emphasised on my PGCE just how crud our number names are for following the pattern of numbers as you count with the teens.

Mind you I am quite surprised (and mildly relieved - give it time) Gove's not just decreed the entire primary curriculum should be taught IN Latin or Ancient Greek.