1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Numeracy idea for measures

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Honey83, Nov 17, 2007.

1. I have just come to unit Data Handling and Measures in numeracy. I am trying to think of a fun and exciting lesson for my low ability maths group to mathch the following object
    Pupils can...Read the numbered divisions on a scale and interpret the divisions between them (e.g. on a scale from 0 to 25 with intervals of 1 shown but only the divisions 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 numbered); use a ruler to draw and measure lines to the nearest centimetre

I don't know if its cos its stupid o clock on a saturday night or what but i'm wondering what main teaching activity to do to make this really interactive....any ideas?

2. I have just come to unit Data Handling and Measures in numeracy. I am trying to think of a fun and exciting lesson for my low ability maths group to mathch the following object
    Pupils can...Read the numbered divisions on a scale and interpret the divisions between them (e.g. on a scale from 0 to 25 with intervals of 1 shown but only the divisions 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 numbered); use a ruler to draw and measure lines to the nearest centimetre

I don't know if its cos its stupid o clock on a saturday night or what but i'm wondering what main teaching activity to do to make this really interactive....any ideas?

3. For drawing and measuring accurately, I gave them certain measurements (differentiated) and they drew a picture of a robot that had to include those measurements, so some worked with mm and some cm

I also used the ITP on my IWB to show different scales and the children had to write the answets on their pupil white boards

4. e-mail me and I will send you what I have found from other LAs.

Let me know which year group>

rachelorr@talktalk.net

OPERA DIVA

5. I tried to email you before, but it got bounced back will try again, but i'm year 6, low ability, here's my email as well malingtong@hotmail.com x

6. That would be really helpful- is it just me who is fining the new numeracy framework difficult to plan from...my planning is currently taking twice as long as before!
    i've got a year three class, but i am having to plan from the year two objectives, due to poor attainment
    My email address is honey83@live.co.uk

7. hi,

for measuring to the nearest cm i gave my class a challenge....i put up fibbonacci's (sp) statement that "the length of a persons arm from shoulder to wrist, is the same as the total length of all their fingers" i then put the children into mixed ability groups and got them to investigate this - they loved it and i even involved myself and the TA as the children could check our arms too!!

hope this helps?? :)

8. Thanks NQT123....such a simple activity but sounds like it would work really well...got my final NQT observation on Wednesday in maths and this looks like a good practical activity to use!!
    Thanks