1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Numeracy Games - Year 4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by choca_holic, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    My class is in on strike day (please no comments about not striking - I'm a student so can't, and my mentor is the one not striking!), but we can't do a normal numeracy lesson as the children are in maths sets across KS2 so half my numeracy class from other year groups not in.
    I'm looking for some ideas for maths games for that day, that the children can play together independently. My plan is to set up a different game on each table and give the children ten or fifteen mins on each table, then they move around.
    Games that are easy to set up are of course a bonus!
    Thanks in advance for any ideas you have,
    Choca_holic

2. Most primaries have a range of maths board games in school. If you haven't seen them - ask. i usually do this kind of thing when there is disrutpion - like on photo day when the classes are being messed about.
    Good luck
    Otherwise something like magic squares are good for challenging the children and are easily differentiated.

3. Thanks for your quick reply. I have found one good board game but others seem hard to come by, and the ones I have found have definitely seen better days.
    Magic squares are a great idea - thanks!
    All other ideas welcomed!

4. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

How about teaching them some card games?
    Blackjack/21/vingt et un ... great for calculating skills - no betting allowed of course!
    Games such as Pelmanism can be adapted to practise whatever you want - number bonds for example.
    Countdown - give them a total and 5 numbers to make that total using any operation.
    Carrie [​IMG]

5. Another activity my year 4s love is:
    Using the digits 1, 2, 3 and 4 (each digit can only be used once) and any of the 4 operations (as many times as you like) can the class make all the numbers from 1 to 20.
    I put A4 sheets of paper around the class for chn to record their calculations.
    The least able to the most able really enjoyed this actiivity. About half way through we had a look to see which numbers were missing
    the beauty of this is that no elquipment is required

6. Thanks so much for your replies, I will definitely be using some of these ideas!
    Enjoy tomorrow whether you're in or striking.
    Choca_holic