1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Numeracy assessment?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by L10, Feb 12, 2012.

1. L10

L10 New commenter

How do you all record assessments of Numeracy? I devised a system but it is too time consuming - it look me all of Friday morning to do one and a half children! I basically am recording the numbers they recognise / can count out / can match up - i.e. 5 objects on number 5.

2. L10

L10 New commenter

How do you all record assessments of Numeracy? I devised a system but it is too time consuming - it look me all of Friday morning to do one and a half children! I basically am recording the numbers they recognise / can count out / can match up - i.e. 5 objects on number 5.

3. Perhaps highlight statements on the development matters to show what they are doing. Then you also get an idea of where they can go next without having to create any separate record.

4. We carry out a mental maths assessment at the beginning of each term - basically recognition of numbers, 1:1 correspondence, what number comes before/after, can they say the missing number in a sequence of numbers etc. We just record the assessment on a tick sheet, either they can / cannot do each task, and then compare it to the previous term to see whether they have progressed.

If we want to assess a particular skill then we carry out a focused observation, listing what we are looking for and using the traffic light system to record. These observations may be carried out by any member of staff working in class but are formally evaluated by me as Class Teacher and it is me who decides on 'the next step' which is then included in future planning.

5. L10

L10 New commenter

Do you have a copy of this thatyou would be willing to share? If not, no problems :)

6. I would be happy to but am not sure how?! If you want to leave an email address I can send you the pro forma for the Mental Maths Test and a Master of a Focused Observation sheet.
    I have found that some of my brighter Reception are now scoring full marks on our Mental Maths test, so we are discussing trying them with the 'must' questions from Year 1. For each year group the school has a series of skills which the children 'must' 'should' or 'could' do.

7. L10

L10 New commenter

Thank you :)
    shopper_lover10@yahoo.co.uk

8. Can I please have a copy too?
    starjin5@gmail.com
    Thanks

9. snickerpuss

snickerpuss New commenter

10. Hi, could I please have a copy of it as well, please.

amchi_khushi@yahoo.com

11. This all sounds very formal. I understood that 80% of Early Years assesssment should be from child initiated activities - recorded through observations, annotated notes , photos etc.

12. Sorry I mean to:
    mizztao@yahoo.com