1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Numeracy Assessment/Qualification at Age ~13?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mature_maths_trainee, Jun 25, 2015.

1. mature_maths_trainee

mature_maths_trainee New commenter

Does anyone know if such a qualification (covering numeracy only, not 'maths') is actively being developed by anyone? (a UK exam board, for example; or on a larger scale, by Google's global education programme or...).

To me, it would complement the new GCSEs (which are at least making schools think more seriously about stretching the more able students, and introducing more problem solving), and add an important and stimulating focus for the average and less-able students at KS3 (even KS2). Something that students could brag about achieving at as earlier an age as possible?

I can't quite see why it's not happening. [The demand's there, so it's a market failure of some sort? Are they distracted by GCSE and A-Level tinkering?].

I remember the National Numeracy Trust proposed something like it some years ago, and I really liked the idea, but I've heard absolutely nothing of it since.

MMT

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

MMT,

No.

Though I agree it would be a significant step, reality is, there's no political will for it and a significant portion of the profession would oppose it.

Those who do not value arithmetic fluency would not be happy. Sir Ken and all like him would be shouting loud opposition to a return to a Victorian curriculum, etc.

Just look at the new requirement for a formal method of multiplication to be taught in primary. Thousands if primary teachers are looking for ways to avoid that -some even posting on here!

3. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Search for GL Assessment Progress Test Maths. The mods don't like me providing weblinks. Secondary levels (up to age 14) are being published by next year. It may be Numeracy enough for you, I don't know. I'm certainly interested in using them instead of Optional Tests.