1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Numeracy assessment for Primary PGCE interview

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by anon2145, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Hi there
    I was wondering if any student primary teachers could give me an idea of what kind of level of numeracy they had to know if they had a numeracy assessment in their PGCE interview ? I have done some revision of fractions, decimals, averages etc but am worried that I need to know GCSE standard. GCSE was a loooong time ago !
    Also I have to do a group discussion as part of my interview - did anyone have to do one of these and what did it entail (my interview is at Uni of Bedfordshire). Reading through a lot of the posts on Prospective student teachers it seems that people had subjects to prepare and present - it doesn't seem that I have to do this, just the group discussion and then personal interview - and I am a little unsure of what to expect. Do you think it will involve current hot topics in education ?
    Thanks for any feedback.

2. Don't worry too much about numeracy test in interview. Just preactise fractions, decimals, percentages and so on, so generally KS2 level. BBC Bitesize revision guide is good.
    As for group discussion, again nothing to get stressed over. It will be on general educational subjects anyway, like inclusion, EAL, equal opportunities. What they are looking for isn't so much your level of knowledge as how you interact in a group - do you dominate or facilitate discussion, are you a good summariser, can you steer the discussion back on track, and so on. If you need to do any presentation or a mock lesson, you will be told in advance.