1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Numbers as labels - point scale 8

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by geniegirl, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    This week I did a few maths activities for my lowers and middles focusing on ordering and recognising numbers. Quite a few of mine already know how to do this so next week I would really like to extend my more able to help them achieve scale point 8. "uses developing mathematical ideas and methods to solve practical problems". I am having a bit of a mind blank (and need to plan for supply for Monday) and am not sure what activities to do to extend these children.

Any ideas??

2. I think scale point 8 is less separate than that. In order to achieve the previous scale points they have to use their ideas and methods.
    For instance some children use their ability to count and knowledge of number order when counting to put the numerals they recognise in order. Some will count the ones they have already ordered out loud each time to find the one that comes next.
    Practical problems could include sorting stuff into numerical order. I have enormously long storage shelves, so I've labelled all the boxes and baskets with coloured numbers, a different colour foreach shelf, and numbers 1-10 on each shelf. So tidy up time covers this objective everyday.
    You could use counting skills to share out resources in a group, find out how many of something you need for the number of children needing that thing, make labels for role play in a variety of contexts, but these are not really a set of activities that you can set up for a supply to 'teach' on Monday.
    This scale point is about practical application of the previous points and should be more integrated into normal routines than set up to challenge your more able mathematicians. If you want activities to stretch them, think about activities that could help them achieve a 9, using larger numbers.