1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NUMBER.....SOW for Y7

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by swampyjo, Apr 28, 2011.

1. swampyjo

swampyjo New commenter

I am just about to write a new SOW for Y7 which will be virtually exclusively number based, certainly for the first half of the year. Although my school's Y7 are generally reasonably sparky, the pupils have often had between 4 and 7 different primary school beffore joining us. Their number skills are often way below the level one would expect given their general ability. Also, it is my belief that by doing this, the pupils will profit later on in their school careers by picking up more complicated number and algebra topics with greater confidence.

My question is......has anyone else already done this and can aid me with a starting point, or is anyone else thinking similar thoughts and would like to collaborate on such a SOW?
    I do not know if it can be 'framework friendly' (I have never used the NNS), but I believe it would be easy to justify to Ofsted why we are doing this. One of the problems that I have is that my school used to be independent but is now under state control. I am assuming that Ofsted will be happy if our results continue to be good?
    Any advice/thoughts?
    Many thanks, Jo

2. Hi, did you write the SOW or is it still in progress? I am currently re designing our Y7 and 8 SOW so that is number based in the first instance and then through 'creative' activity, the number is applied in problem solving to hit the other strands. The SOW would need to start at a L2 and extend through to L6, so would really appreciate any advice.
    Thanks

3. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

I did this for Yr 5 - basically was simply the following...
    Lesson 1 - An 8 question test on the 4 rules (2 of each of the 4 rules, with one from the Yr 5 supplement of examples and one from Yr 6 (i.e. what you expect them to be able to do)
    Following lessons - teachers teach skills required according to what their individual class can and can't do - using the 'do it check it mark it' approach.

4. Just out of curiostiy, is 'do it-check it-mark it' exactly what it says on the tin. Do you furnish the pupils with the answers, or let them check on a calculator or mark against success criteria. This isn't a leading question, I'm just curious to see what others do. I'm increasingly becoming aware that giving pupils answers (or allowing calculator check) gives them more feedback and gets them to reflect on what they've done (and saves me marking!!!)

5. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

It's what it says on the tin! I give them a calculator, they do the question, showing their working in their books, they then immediately check on a calculator and mark the question, If it's correct they move onto the next, if it's wrong they do it again or ask me to explain why they got it wrong. It means that they can't ever do a whole page of wrong 'sums' because of a misconception as it gets picked up on immediately.
    With older children, e.g. Yr 8 I sometimes give them answer sheets to check as they go if it's not a basic skills lesson, but that's generally when I have different groups doing different work. Otherwise if they're all doing the same I would call out answers if it's something that they couldn't check themselves.
    I only then need to check the work and give some praise if it's correct or extra support/worked examples if they have got something wrong.