1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Number sequences and basic algebra with lower set yr5/6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Jun 18, 2011.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Hi all. Im really struggling. I have lower set yr5/6 maths, ranging from 2a-4c. Majority of them need interactive lessons where they can see something happening. Next week we're doing number sentences and basic algebra. Im stressing the basic algebra, and have explained to my yr leader and numeracy co-ordinator that it really will be along the lines of 2 + x = 8 etc etc
    Anyway, what i need help with is finding a way of teaching number sequences and basic algebra in an exciting and interactive way. I have thought using number lines etc but just wondered what else to do.
    Thanks in advance for your help

2. rainbowdrop86

Hi all. Im really struggling. I have lower set yr5/6 maths, ranging from 2a-4c. Majority of them need interactive lessons where they can see something happening. Next week we're doing number sentences and basic algebra. Im stressing the basic algebra, and have explained to my yr leader and numeracy co-ordinator that it really will be along the lines of 2 + x = 8 etc etc
    Anyway, what i need help with is finding a way of teaching number sequences and basic algebra in an exciting and interactive way. I have thought using number lines etc but just wondered what else to do.
    Thanks in advance for your help

3. If you're starting with basics then I wouldn't use letters just boxes to denote missing numbers. It's important that they understand that = means 'is the same as' (so each side balances).
    I would recommend doing it as practically as possible (working with apparatus) this will give them the visual pictures that they need.

4. rainbowdrop86

thanks for your reply. I was also thinking about introducting square numbers during the week, perhaps getting them to investigate them using multi link, but again am a bit unsure as to how to go about it. Sorry, have just had SATs, ofsted, then interviews for new job, then week away on residential, plus reports, and so my brain really is not working to its best!!! I can see the children using multi link to find a sequence of square numbers, but am unsure as to how to introduce it, use it, explain it etc