1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

number recognition activities

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by carot35, Aug 24, 2007.

1. I am hoping to do the first few weeks focused activities with the children linked to counting and number recognition but am stuck for ideas to make it fun and interesting. I have finding numbers outside addding them to washing line, digging for numbers in sand, painting number and objects. Any other ideas would be great they are reception but have no/little number recognition. Also fun sites as have IWB to use

2. no one??

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. I got a pack of 100 play balls from Woolworths for £5 on the recommendation of another thread. I wrote the numbers 1-10 on them and put them in water with food colouring and a ball pool (just a paddling pool with no water) and get them to fish out the number of the week.

Also http://www.ngfl-cymru.org.uk/vtc-home/vtc-ey-home/vtc-ey-...

5. Msz

Outdoors we have numbered parking bays and the children are asked to park their wheeled vehicle in bay number *

We made a set of numbered letter boxes and fasted them in various places in the outdoor area then gave the children letters to post into the correct number box.

~Large numbers either painted or chalked on the floor when the teacher calls a number the children go and stand on it.

An adaptation to the paddling pool is to number all the balls 1-10 so that you have ten number 1s ten number 2s etc. Also have numbered containers 1-10 when the child fishes out a ball they have to say the name and place it in the matching container.

Draw a pond and Lily pads numbered 1-6 at random on the ground or use laminated ones indoors with ropes to mark out the pond. Children throw a large foam number dice and stand on the corresponding number until they get from one side of the pond to the other. Can extend with 2 dice and numbers 1-12 when children begin addition.

6. bevevans22

bevevans22 Administrator

I have an !WB activity I could send you for numbers up to 9. Email bevevans22@aol.com

Bev

7. Make a twister board, so a large sheet of paper with numbers on, call out a number children have to put hand or foot on that number.

On a table put paper and draw squiggly line that cross each other so it looks like an empty jigsaw puzzle (hard to explain|) write numbers on each jigsaw bit. Use a lid from a hot choc tin or coffee to slide across the table wherever it lands read the number and take that amount of coins/raisins/dinosaurs?

8. Msz

? Display, point and say! Number lines, tracks, tiles, washing lines ??
    ? Washing line games ? can they bring you number 9? Can they identify which number is missing?
    ? Use a target board or class number line. Point randomly to numbers ? can they tell you what the numbers are?
    ? Give children (individually or in pairs) a set of number cards to hold up when following instructions eg. show the number 5 ? great for assessment.
    ? Give out number cards ? ask child to stand up if they have number 5.
    ? Make paper hats which are numbered. Who is wearing the hat that says number 5? eg. use in conjunction with number rhymes/songs.
    ? Watch videos that show numerals eg. Number Time.
    ? Label large toys and parking spaces with corresponding numbers.
    ? Make numeral shaped biscuits and eat!
    ? Make play dough or salt dough numerals.
    ? Make a mini orienteering course using numbers.
    ? Have a number treasure hunt, find, return and order the numbers.
    ? Provide a variety of numerals for children to collage onto.
    ? Use large dice or dominoes for a variety of games.
    ? Use calculators. Can you find the same number as your partner.
    ? Place money, calculators, tills, calendars, telephones in the role play area.
    ? Play games: the postman delivering letters to the right number, musical islands ? ?when the music stops run to the number 5?.
    ? Chalk numbers on the playground and ask the children to find their own collections of objects ? 3 leaves, 2 pebbles, 1 feather etc.
    ? Paint a number snake or ladder in the playground.
    ? Draw the children?s attention to everyday numbers on front doors, telephones, television, clocks, clothing, calendars, car number plates, road signs, buses, page numbers.

9. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

One of the things my class really enjoyed was our number heros day. We did lots of different number activities but we started my numbering all the children (sticky labels on jumpers) we then could order ourselves, line up if you are number ......? if you are bigger then....? small then...? can you tell me who id number....? If they are young children I would stick to numbers to 10 and have more then one set, maybe colour coded. I did this with Rec Year one and gave less able, younger children the smaller numbers.

10. I love all of these ideas, thanks