1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Number of teachers at A level What do you do?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by smillsj, Apr 26, 2012.

1. smillsj

smillsj New commenter

Thanks for that. Hoping to persuade Head teacher as well who is also a maths teacher.

2. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Teaching eight modules is indeed crazy. C1 and C2 are compulsory, so 2 applied modules rather thatn one. I.e S1 and D1 and M1 - rather than just S1) Given that these modules are completely and utterly diferent the kids would just get confused and I can't see this having anything other than a negative effect - unless ofcourse you do 9 modules and get an A/S in further maths - At least they then have something to show for all the extra work.
    Two teachers is the norm - 4 would make things very diificult for the kids re lack of any kind of continutiy

3. Four teachers teaching the same kids for A-Level - if I understand the OP correctly - is modular gone mad. Two at most.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We have onnly 4 lessons a week for Further Maths AS level. They are shared so I teach 3 of them and a colleague has just 1 lesson a week. The kids were complaining that they find it harder to retain the areas that he has covered with them because they don't see him often enough. Frustrating for him and for them.

5. We have 5 lessons a week for Maths - 3 with teacher A and 2 with teacher B. Teacher A and B both teach C1 until October (for Jan exam) then split off into Teacher A teaching C2 and Teacher B teaching S1 for the Jun exam. Year 13 has a similar structure with both teaching C3 for Jan exam, then splitting off to C4 and M1.

For Further Maths we have 4 lessons a week, again with two teachers and a similar structure in both years. Both teachers teach D1 for Jan, then split off into FP1 and S2. In year 13, both teachers teach M2 for Jan, and split off into FP2 and FP3.

Students are allowed to do extra modules if they teach themselves, which some do for their own interest.

We have 5 classes in year 12 and 4 classes in year 13 for Maths and 1 class for further maths in each year, but we also offer FM in year 13 as an AS. This is taught in 3 hrs per week, by 3 teachers, each teacher teaching one of FP1, M2 and S2 all for the June exams.

All of our 11 staff now teach at least one module of Sixth Form Maths

6. How do well does this work? We have 9 hours of A-Level Maths a fortnight with a 5/4 split between 2 teachers. Both teach C1 to start but in December one starts C2 until C1 exam and then does M1 until June and the other moves onto C2. Too complicated!
    What I would like to do is similar to you. Have 3 teachers teach for 3 hours a fortnight, and each teacher take responsibility for a module, C1, C2 or M1 all for June exams.

What do people think?

7. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Seems daft. C2 is dependent on C1, so why would you go out of your way to teach them in parallel?

8. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

6/3 split with one teacher doing C1/C2 might be more sense. If you're doing all the exams in June, that also opens up the opportunity to teach bits of C2 with the corresponding bits of C1 where appropriate.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

We have 2 teachers doing 2 hours a week each in year 12. Both teach part of all 3 modules, which is not at all complicated as the scheme of work tells us what to teach when. This has (IMO) 2 advantages. Firstly, both teachers are likely to be familiar with the whole course, meaning that they can give a different take on what the other teacher has done and help with revision of any module. Second, a teacher who has not taught M1 or S1 before can do half the module one year and the other half the next, spreading out the preparation. If somebody is new to a module, the other teacher can help if required.
    In year 13, we have a similar structure, except a third teacher does an extra 1 lesson a week. Our structure of options means that a teacher may have to teach all of S2 or M2.
    As somebody who had a long gap between degree and teaching, I found it very helpful to be able to pick up all the modules we do gradually over a period of about 6 years.