1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Number of paid sick days

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by SamLC2309, Jan 25, 2020.

1. SamLC2309

SamLC2309 New commenter

Hi
    Do sick days only relate to one condition or does it accumulate across financial year?? Would appreciate any feed back

Thanks

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

In my experience they just accrue as "sick days" whether it is an allergic reaction or hospital operation! If you are off on 5 individual days, no matter how relevant you trigger 'procedures" but if off 3 weeks with 2 broken legs/whatever.... that counts as one period of absence.... or used to !

4. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

If under the STP&CD, then the sick year runs April - March.... day clock resets to 0 at 1 April assuming you are at work on that day, or as soon as you return after that.

5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Is this normal for workplaces that aren't Burgundy Book? As in sickness resets, so if someone was off for 6 months then come April they could theoretically take another 6 months immediately (not that I'm saying the OP or anyone else would, just always wondered that...

SamLC2309 likes this.
  6. cornflake

In theory, yes - you could be at work at the end of March, and then fall ill again in April and a new sickness entitlement would start.
    Your employer could consider dismissal due to ill health capability though...

7. cornflake

For those places not under BB, you would have to check own policies

8. install

install Star commenter

This is my experience too. Someone who has had a day off at 3 separate times is treated far worse in the system than someone who has had 1 time of 1 week off.

And it leads to the notion possibly that if you happen to be unwell then do not go back to work until you are fully recovered. In other words it may be wiser in the long term not to have single days off.

agathamorse and HelenREMfan like this.
  9. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

My experience is exactly the same as @HelenREMfan and @install.

The only thing I'm not so sure about is the April - March sick year. I think ours is a 'rolling year' now - so if you had 3 odd days off sick between September and February and then another couple of days in April and June, that would trigger a meeting.

install and HelenREMfan like this.
  10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Although we all want to believe every single teacher is conscientious and fully committed to their workplace, there are some who take the proverbial.
    For normal, professional people who take work seriously, there is no cause for worry in most schools.

11. install

install Star commenter

Agree.

To be fair it isn't just some teachers. In my experience, there are also a number of slt/hts/ ceos who also take the proverbial and may account for the sickness being caused in places. And also who are not fully committed to the welfare and wellbeing of their staff.

12. SamLC2309

SamLC2309 New commenter

This question arose from HR not having a clue about sick days and following the wrong dates (not looking at working days as opposed to time periods).
    Now down to half pay but as OH has advised I cannot return to work until after further treatment, including recovery after, I’m not expecting to return, just waiting on someone (even the cleaner at this point would be a start!!!) getting back to me with an update

13. caterpillartobutterfly

Six months full pay and six months half pay is generally calendar months.
    Specified numbers of days usually specifies working days...check your contract.
    If you aren't expecting to return (at all?) then you need to contact your union and get them to negotiate with the school.
    If you have advised the school you won't return until further treatment and recovery, and given a likely timescale, then the school have no need to contact you.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I don't think there is anything normal for workplaces outside the Burgundy Book. In the world outside teaching, some employers do no more than SSP and some are quite generous; I suspect that the Burgundy Book is more generous than average.

15. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Apologies if I have missed it, but I don't think you have said whether you are under the Burgundy Book. If you are, then the time under full and half pay is in working days. For somebody in their fourth year or later, it is 100 days at each, which is in the region of six months but can be longer or shorter depending on the time of year. If you haven't reached 100 days by the start of the holiday, you get full pay for the entire holiday without it counting for the entire time. So if the 100 days is either side of the summer holiday, you can get over six months at full pay.

What update are you expecting? If OH says you will be off a lot longer, then there is no reason for the school to contact you unless they are considering ill health dismissal. If they were to do that now, they would have to give you full pay until 30 April, and that assumes that it counts as fair dismissal. If you are hoping to return, no news is good news, at least until your sick pay runs out completely. When it does, it becomes more expensive for the school to dismiss you, as they then have to give you full pay instead of no pay for the notice period. If you are not expecting to return, then being dismissed at some point might be considered a good thing. @caterpillartobutterfly's idea of getting your union to see if they can negotiate something seems sensible, although delaying it until the end of February might be good tactics as the school would then not be able to dismiss you until the end of August. The school does not have to offer anything other than your contractual sick pay, but they might be prepared to be give you something even after your half pay period has expired, just to get you off their books and be free to plan for the future without the danger that you suddenly are able to return.

16. angrypixie

angrypixie New commenter

We only get paid for a few sick days a year depending on how long you've been there. We don't get paid if we're off for a medical appointment either. Private school.

17. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, although some people think that private schools are much better than the state sector as employers, the Burgundy Book does offer quite significant advantages in terms of benefits such as sick leave compared with many other employers.

18. caterpillartobutterfly

Conditions relating to teaching and learning are generally much better.
    Conditions relating to terms of employment, especially in small schools, are often pretty poor.

Rott Weiler, agathamorse and nomad like this.
  19. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

In my previous academy school, sick pay was on a 'rolling' 12 month period with 3 months full and 3 months half. I met trigger point as I was off with a broken leg for 8 weeks, went back too soon and had to have more time off... I had to fight really hard via union get full pay but succeeded as I broke my leg at school so work-related with no prior risk assessment completed.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

My school now follows the NHS system for absence where it's essentially the never of absences not amount of days your off for. It's possible to trigger the absence management policy if you have three period of absence of one day each. But you can have an entire month of and not trigger it.thats if I understand it correctly.