1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Number of observations

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by littlemissraw, Apr 5, 2011.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Twice a term is the recommended. Why are you being observed so much? What is the feedback like? x

2. I started off satisfactory and I've moved up to very good. I've never had a lesson graded inadequate so I find being observed so often confidence-crushing and stressful. I'm in an academy though so I suppose anything below outstanding is inadequate for them, but that should be a separate issue to induction...

3. Sounds like you're really getting done. The recommendation is definitely two per term (I get one every half term - although you do get a couple of extras at the beginning) although I suppose HTs and SMT etc can adapt for individual school policy. Don't suppose you teach in the South East at a nice, fairly new place do you? I turned down a job there because I thought it might be a bit OTT like this. I think definitely have a word with you mentor or your school's induction/ITT/CPD coordinator to get the school policy from the horse's mouth so to speak.

4. I did and I was told it's because I respond so well to criticism that they want to give me more to allow me to keep improving. Never mind that I'm going mad!