1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Number of GCSE awards drops 17 per cent

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 13, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Could it be that schools can no longer risk entering students who may not get grade c or above, now that only the first entry counts on the league tables?

My son is in year 11 and currently every student in his year is being interviewed by the head to discuss their grades in different subjects. Where they are not expected to do well they are being told to drop the subject. Some students are upset as they have worked for years in that subject and want to give it a shot. I find this extremely sad; a few percentage points on the school's data is way more important (enough for heads to lose their job over I expect) than children's futures. Everything we do in education should be based on what is best for the young people we teach, but it isn't. Everyone's watching their own back.

3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

The problem is that every thing that is done to measure schools has unforseen consequences.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The Government wanted more rigorous exams, and made sure they got them.

5. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Well palmtree100 even worse if the data is statistically false. Feel for you on this one - not sure how this will pan out long term. Maybe the head should have interviewed the kids at the start of their courses.

6. palmtree100

It doesn't affect me personally as my son is not being asked to drop anything, he just described how some fellow students of his have spent ages doing coursework etc. and are now being told they are not allowed to sit their GCSE. I feel sad for them.

7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Do I understand this correctly. Where they are expected to not attain a good grade they are being told they cannot take the exams? I'm fairly sure this is illegal! You can't take tax payers' money to educate a child and then not pay for them to be examined. The ethics on this are monstrous. How on earth are they getting away with this?

wanet, palmtree100 and chelsea2 like this.
  8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

This really really annoyed me when it happened in one of the schools I worked at. They wanted all the examinees to get A-C grades and were trying to persuade those likely to get lower grades to drop the subject. Same thing at A level where they wanted to get students to drop a subject. My argument was that even a low pass is a pass for that student, and an achievement for them. Education is SO not about the students any more.

wanet and palmtree100 like this.
  9. vannie

vannie Star commenter

The opposite happened to my son. He was forced to take his history (ie fact heavy) GCSE a year early and because he got a C wasn't allowed to do it again.

10. palmtree100

So true.