1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Number of classes per FEHE lecturer

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by newby28, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Hi there,

Just a quick question to my fellow hard working teachers.tutors/lecturers/mugs [​IMG]

How many DIFFERENT classes do you have per week?

It would be great to know - just a number from everyone would be great.

Thanks in advance.

2. Hi there,

Just a quick question to my fellow hard working teachers.tutors/lecturers/mugs [​IMG]

How many DIFFERENT classes do you have per week?

It would be great to know - just a number from everyone would be great.

Thanks in advance.

3. I teach/supervise/contribute to about half a dozen units/modules, mostly HE. It varies from week to week as we have a semester/trimester/day/block timetables. This week I'm down to three taught classess. I teach one unit that has between two and four cohorts and there are a couple more that normally have two cohorts.

4. 7. That's 6 Psychology Classes (3 times a week) and 1 large tutorial group once a week!

5. I'm currently doing my PGCE PCET and I take 5 classes and teach 3 different modules

6. I teach Functional and Key Skills so that is 9 different subjects and 16 different groups of students which works out at about 180 students - does that help?

7. Before Xmas I was teaching ECDL, ECDL Adv, CLAIT, ELUIT, Business Diploma (3 subjects) + Extended Diploma, NCFE Business and an Access group for tutorial. This gave a class contact of 32 hours. With the exception of the IT programs, all the content and admin was new to me since August.
    I'm still off work with stress and depression currently.
    Hope this helps.

8. I'm not surprised! The amount of time required to teach, plan, mark and remark, organise and type must have been astronomical! I recently tallied up my hours and even though my college regards me as 'under hours' (there are 20 teaching hours on my timetable) because I have so many Psychology students (100), one of whom has to be taught separately (due to his timetable-so this is another 2 hours on top of my 20 hours plus I'm mentoring an EPQ student which also isn't on my timetable and I'm understaffed so have had to pick up another session for one of my Psychology students of 1.5 hours AND I'm currently running an hour workshop for my A2 stduents resitting one of their AS exam units), I need to spend at least 73 hours on my paperwork etc (essays are set at least once a fortnight) but only have 7 hours of non teaching time (that's 9 hours-2 for cover), so I'm also feeling stressed and unable to cope!
    God knows how you must be feeling!
    When will college leadres realise that the business model as they apply it doesn't work for Education and is destroying the efficiency and morale of both staff and students?!

9. I am on a 50% teachng contract and the other 50% is mentoring teacher training staff and tutor support/assessment. Two 50% jobs do not equal one 100% job! I teach 14 sessions to 11 groups, totally 230 students in that 50% role! The last term of teaching has easily been the very, very worst in my two decades or more of teaching, and has taken me to the brink and seriously damaged my relationship with my partner. Like many posts above - I don't know how far they can cut admin time whilst adding admin work, layering on more responsibilities, non productive initiatives, piling in the students, etc. It is the good tutors that suffer. Those who don't care just shrug and spend teaching time doing their admin whilst getting the students to do 'self directed study'.It's a very sad state of affairs,