1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Number of applicants per teaching post

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Georgia99, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Hi there, I hear lots of people talk about how many applicants there are per teaching job. My schools have recently just closed applications for a Humanities teacher, Science teacher and Maths teacher for September 12.
    I was speaking to the head on Friday and they had 70 applicants for Humanities, 60 for Science and 29 for Maths.
    This was a school in Devon.
    Not quite as bad as the 200 applicants in some areas of the country?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The 200+ are for primary. These numbers you give are pretty high for secondary - even the Maths applicants have a 1 in 5 or 6 chance only of an interview . . .
    Thanks for giving this information - it's always useful to see the figures.
    (But most of those people won't be on our Forum,and won't have come to one of our seminars, so won't have the insider knowledge on how to apply effectively!)
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate. I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 21st www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com<font size="2" color="#0000ff"> </font>
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars