1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Number of Annual Reviews

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Reglin, Jul 5, 2019.

?

How many annual reviews do you conduct and write each year?

1. 0-5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 5-10

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. 10-20

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. 20-30

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 30-50

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 50-75

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 75<

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Reglin

Reglin New commenter

hello, this goes out to those of you who are SENCos. I am wondering on average how many annual reviews you conduct and write up yourselves per year?

2. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

14 this year. All in the summer term. Hours and hours of copying and pasting the child’s strengths and needs, personal details, outcomes and targets from the EHCP to Annual Review form which seems a highly inefficient system. Many SENCOs have complained in vain to our LA about streamlining all information onto one form. Each annual review meeting could take up to an hour and a half. Plus the effort it takes to get some parents to respond to an invitation and confirm their attendance; checking paperwork; completing provision mapping; liaising with current teacher. And then when it gets sent off to LA, that’s the last you hear of it. They never send back an updated EHCP or do any sort of quality control that the child still needs the funding.
    A system that in my LA, is not fit purpose.
    It doesn’t help that I have 143 children on my SEN register and no admin support!

3. R13

R13 New commenter

It also doesn't help that a lot of the roles described above should be carried out by a clerical assistant. ARs should be a considered discussion about need and provision and the increasingly become an administrative exercise that is then ignored by an LA who are cut to the bone and unable to carry out their obligations.

onmyknees likes this.
  4. Freckles108

Freckles108 New commenter

I work in a special school so it works slightly differently, but the class teacher fills in the Annual Review paperwork - the strengths/needs, reviews progress towards outcomes and sets short term targets. They are in the best position to comment on the day-to-day. Each teacher has between 8 -10 to complete per year.

The personal data, attendance, info pulled from EHCP is populated by an office assistant before it is sent to the teacher. It is then checked by the Senco/line manager and they add all the additional information (provision mapping, pull together reports from other professionals) and chair the review meeting.

We have the same issue with the LA not responding, and that the EHCP can be 4-5 years out of date!

onmyknees likes this.
  5. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

And last year, despite me having sent all Annual reviews of to the LA, they still had the nerve to email and ask me for them. Right hand/ left hand etc......

6. liamfh

liamfh New commenter

its not the SENCO's job in our school. Each form tutor does it for their own pupils, so about 8 a year.