1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Number bonds to ten in reception...hmmm

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by missjivebunny, May 15, 2007.

1. missjivebunny

missjivebunny New commenter

I have to plan and teach a lesson on number bonds to ten in reception for tomorrow (I'm on supply) and I've only taught nursery in Foundation Stage before. To me, it seems like number bonds to ten will be really hard! Has anyone got any tips? I've got number fans and number lines, and could use the little whiteboards and iwb. Any ideas? I'm really stuck! I've taught this in year 2 but I don't want to pitch it too high. Why am I planning when I'm on supply, you may ask. Because I am nice is the answer!

HELP!

2. missjivebunny

I have to plan and teach a lesson on number bonds to ten in reception for tomorrow (I'm on supply) and I've only taught nursery in Foundation Stage before. To me, it seems like number bonds to ten will be really hard! Has anyone got any tips? I've got number fans and number lines, and could use the little whiteboards and iwb. Any ideas? I'm really stuck! I've taught this in year 2 but I don't want to pitch it too high. Why am I planning when I'm on supply, you may ask. Because I am nice is the answer!

HELP!

3. think ********** may have some number bond bits.
    Could use 2 colour unifix cubes and make differnt combinations
    or something like painting ladybirds with a different number of spots on each side!

4. we did bean bags for it as mine were struggling. They had 2 hoops each and they had a set of the same coloured bean bags they ahd to throw them into the hoops and see how many they had in each hoop making sure at the end they had 10 in total. Minel oved it and we had 3 groups doing it so they were racing aswell. Another good one is ladybirds

5. missjivebunny

Ladybirds...I like that...
    Isn't it a difficult concept for reception though? It seems like it to me!

6. my reception class are learning about number bonds really well,

we used cut out ladybirds and the children used black unifix cubes.

the children found lots of different ways of partitioning 10 cubes on each side on the ladybird.

they recorded their findings on an A5 ladybird with lines drawn across as well as one line down for the wing.

got it off ********** just added the horizontal lines.

also used the interactive whiteboard game for ladybirds from sparkle, children loved it!

this making any sense???

good luck xxxx

7. missjivebunny

Yes it is making sense, and I have just remembered that I have a gorgeous ladybird that I made out of felt with detachable spots! Ten spots! Hurray!
    Any more ideas would be fab though.
    I love the early years staffroom.

8. Story!

'10 in a bed' David Ellwand.

Yes it's a counting back story but you get your 10 little teddies, some are in bed and some aren't - number bonds to 10! In the above version of the song/rhyme, all ten teddies are visible on every page.

You act it out with the children whilst singing the song (very dramatically).

You get them to make their own little 'patchwork quilts' and they decide how many teddies are in or out of bed...Some can write the number sentence to describe their picture/collage.

9. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

You could play a game of lucky 10, using two dice children have to throw first numbered dice then second...we use spotted dice for second dice, if the two numbers make 10 then they get a golden egg.......stick labels on one dice so the numbers correspond with number bonds..write up on whiteboard

make large A4 loop cards, I have 6 who has 4? 6 and 4 make 10, get kids with cards to stand out

I have 7 who has 3 etc.... good for modelling out front

10. I have used a small box with 10 bits of treasure in and had 2 pirates who are trying to sort out the treasure but they can't count. how many ways could they share it out.Also done ladybirds.
    also pegboards-2 colours change- a colour on each lineso you get 2 triangles at the end

11. My class would love the pirate treasure idea, they're pirates of the caribbean mad at the moment... must find some eye patches and bandanas!

12. Get ready to sing... to the tune of frere Jaques (prob spelt wrong):
    1 + 9 1 + 9 9 + 1 9 + 1... put them altogether, put them altogether... That makes 10! That makes 10! (and same for others)
    Also:
    Use fingers - how many hiding and showing
    Use tower of 10 and break up in various places to see how many combinations
    Ten pennies in two purses. split them up and check combinations.
    Ladybirds with different combinations either side...
    That should do for now. More if needed.

13. Msz

Msz Established commenter

A good old fashioned abacus my class love partitioning the beads and writing the sums.
    I have to confess to using ten chocolate buttons and two paper plates per child and if they can find all the ways of partitioning the buttons they can eat them.

14. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I've got a picture of Autumn leaves. I have 10 little hedgehogs. The children close their eyes while I hide some underneath. then they open their eyes, we count how many hedgehogs we can see, and work out how many hedgehogs must be hiding.

It's the wrong time of year, but you could adapt the idea eg have a big green leaf and some little caterpillars.