1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Number bonds to 10 and doubling (up to 20)

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Greenteaaddict, May 3, 2008.

1. Try **********.co.uk Some lovely free resources on there!

2. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

I have used the sparkle box resources to support a low ability Y2 group. Once we had practiced matching the cards together, I extended it by giving each child a card, One child would hold up the card and say " I have 4 who has 6? Once the card has been handed over another child repeats the process with another card. It's a good way of reinforcing the concept.

I also use a soft ball to throw at any child [keeps them focused] say a number whilst they throw it back to me giving me the corresponding number to make ten.

We have daily 10 min numeracy mental activities too and at the start of September I used this activity for a week on number bonds to make ten.

if you don't have this resource it could be done with cubes, or the cunisaire rods, anything that starts of with a visual effect really.

For doubles up to ten I used numicon plates as the coloured plates representing numbers help to visualise the number patterns. We then matched two [number seven plates to a ten plate and a four plate.]
    Have to say it needed a lot longer than the actual numeracy strategy gave for this objective and it is something I reinforce during the ten min lessons every day. I'm not using the number plates now and we are doing it mentally at this stage.

3. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

They are great greenteaaddict.

I've just changed one set of spots to a different colour and will use these with a SEN child.

Thanks for the link

4. Thank you all so much - yes I think I have been given a couple of days to do this topic - so for some of them that will be impossible!