1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Number bonds to 10 - activities please!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by takethatno1fan, Sep 1, 2007.

1. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I am planning my work for my SEN children, and one of their targets is number bonds to 10.

I am new to Y2, so if you have any treid and tested (and fun!) games/activities for teaching number bonds to 10 I'd be really grateful.

Thanks

2. takethatno1fan

I am planning my work for my SEN children, and one of their targets is number bonds to 10.

I am new to Y2, so if you have any treid and tested (and fun!) games/activities for teaching number bonds to 10 I'd be really grateful.

Thanks

3. http://www.numbergym.co.uk/bbswf/BBmenuW.html

We use this in school - having bought the software but this is a trial -explore it! The kids love it and really try hard to beat their previous scores.
    We also do number bonding in a book where the teacher reads out 10 digits to 10 and children have to write the number that bonds with it to make 10. When they have finished they put up their hand and the teacher gives them a time score from stop watch she has been using. This really improves their speed.
    :0)

4. The link I gave you needs you to put in your name and then click on the bonds game to try it out.

5. a good quick oral and mental game - ping pong - you say 3, they say 7, you say 2, they say 8, you say ping they say pong etc! Children love this.
    I also have a great game to be played in pairs - using 6 sided dice and counters in 2 colours - 1st player rolls eg 3 and covers complement to 10 (ie 7) with a counter of their colour. Play continues - you can play 4 in a row or who has most counters at end wins. Hope that makes sense! I also have other versions - pairs which make 20/100 etc.
    Email me if you would like a copy
    barley343@yahoo.co.uk

amelia765 likes this.
  6. We use a great book called Infant Simmering Activities by Ruthe Merrtens. It is full of loads of fun games/ activities

7. takethatno1fan

Thanks everybody for some really good ideas.

8. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Here' one that works by building understanding via a mental picture. Use a bead string with ten beads. (I can send you one if you wish). Start with the usual actiity of splitting it into two groups and asking how many in each group, how many in total, etc.

After they have got that, however, start to cover up a few beads with your fingers and ask how many beads you are hiding. This is much harder at first but forces their brain to extrapolate from what it has been doing and form a mental model to which the chlid can refer later.

When you hide, start by hiding 1, then 9, then 2 and so on. I'm sure the rest is obvious.

Hope this helps.

9. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Sorry, I meant to say that I have a spare beadstring, I wasn't trying to sell you anything!

10. Have you used number flip flaps.

Go to www.primaryresources.co.uk

maths flip flaps

They are free to download.

You make them up and you can fold them to show every possible combination of 2 numbers making ten.

You can ask the kids 'how many can I see?' they hae to work out what you have based on what they can see.

Lots of uses.

11. I do ping pong too- it is a versatile game as you can use it for number bonds or adding 10 etc.

I also play a game where I hold up a big card with, say, 6 on it, and they have to quickly hold up their card with 4 on it. After a few goes I give them a time limit and count down 4,3,2,1 ..show me! They love it!

Thanks for those links bluerose - I especially like the third one.

12. ten cubes in a zip lock- reading type bag. Put masking tape down the middle. Get them to shake the bag and lay down on their table. Get them to count out the cubes on either side of the line e.g 3 cubes on left of masking tape, 7 cubes on right. 3 and 7 make 10.

13. Just remembered another ...
    a coat hanger with ten pegs on, clipped so they dangle down, then slide over 3, how many left on the other side? 7, so 7 and 3 make 10.

I also use the top line of the abacus, and then you can repeat it with tens numbers, eg 7 and 3 make 10, so 70 and 30 make 100.

14. MazMitch

MazMitch New commenter

Number bonds to 10 bingo...Children split their mini whiteboard into 4 boxes and write a random numbers from 0 to 10 in each box. You hold up a random flashcard between 0-10 and say 'have you got the number that goes with this to make 10?' (e.g. you hold up 3, they can cross off 7). First one to cross out all 4 of their numbers wins (check their numbers for extra practise). You can progress to number bonds to 20 when they get good at bonds to 10 (they write numbers 10-20 instead of 0-10 and you say 'have you got the number that goes with this to make 20?')

15. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

They should be too young to have phones but if you can get parents involved there are loads of simple maths apps free to download. Might be a bit of a job trying to find the best one but the benefit is they are always to hand.

16. derek_underwood79

derek_underwood79 Occasional commenter

I am a big Numicon fan. My SEN children can see the 7 shape in their head and then see that a three shape is needed to make the 10 shape. This all takes time.

amelia765 likes this.