1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nuisance emojis

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by Vince_Ulam, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

While recently composing a serious post with crediting URLs to the ICO the software presented these as emojis e.g. ICo_Org.uk. Is there a way to avoid this annoying intrusion of inappropriate jocularity which does not require me to mutilate my URLs?

upload_2018-2-10_14-25-32.png

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Just trying something.

ICo_Org.uk

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Trying it again - but not using the Rich Text Editor

ICo_Org.uk

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

@Vince-Ulam
    I thought a solution might be to not use the Rich Text editor, but as you can see that didn't work.

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Trying something else - can I edit the emoji out after posting?

ICo_Org.uk

EDIT: No - if I retype the original address in edit it remains the same.

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Do capitals make any difference?

ico.org.uk

EDIT: That worked @Vince-Ulam

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  8. Vince_Ulam

Thanks for the hacking, @marlin, but I like my capital letters for abbreviations.

Incidentally, it's @Vince_Ulam.

9. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Whoops - sorry - didn't look carefully enough.

10. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

ICo_Org.uk

hmm bad coding...

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  11. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Thank you for tagging me @marlin.

Sorry about the emojis appearing in your posts @Vince_Ulam. The best way to avoid this from happening is to use the link button in the formatting tool bar (text editor) when posting a URL or you can do what Marlin suggested and avoid using capital letters (but you've already mentioned that you are not keen on using lower case letters for abbreviations).

12. Vince_Ulam

Do you mean typing the URL directly into the link dialogue rather than inserting it into text? Same issue.

ICo_Org.uk

13. TES_Rosaline

Sorry about this @Vince_Ulam. I know it must be frustrating that this keep on happening with a change from the capital letter O to the lower case o which is read as code for the emoji by the system. The only way to get round this problem is to either use all lower case or all capitals when adding the URL in the link box:

ico.org.uk
    ICO.ORG.UK

14. Vince_Ulam

Thank you for solving my First World Problem, @TES_Rosaline, and @marlin. Now, can we talk about that yellow background on the Alerts count? I'd like something more in keeping with the rest of the CSS, like blue, and less migraine-inducing, like plaid.

marlin likes this.
  15. TES_Rosaline

16. Vince_Ulam

Emojis still nuisancing me:

TL:DR