1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nuisance commercial calls

Discussion in 'Personal' started by inky, Nov 25, 2011.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

We've had three today, one when I was in the bath and answered because I was expecting a call. Does anyone know how to bar these wretched things?
    A large drink to anyone responding usefully to this who's going to the brum christmas meet!

2. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Register with the Telephone Preference Service online (TPS). It takes about a month for the calls to stop, but we haven't had any fora couple of years now. Same with Mail Preference Service.

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Many thanks, joli2. We'll do that.

4. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Used to be registered with TPS but then wasn't when I moved house. Told first couple of callers I was and said to please remove me from their database. Never been bothered since.

Get a couple of phone calls a month though thinking I'm a business number. Not sure how that one came about.

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter

We are registered with TPS and instead now get calls from people saying, I'm not selling anything - just doing a survey. I don't think so ... [​IMG]
    I'm seriously thinking of getting caller display.

6. v12

v12

My first question to such telephone callers is "What are you selling?"
    When they assure me that they're not indeed selling anything, I respond
    "Ahh, that's a shame - I'm only in the market for buying things today" before ringing off!

7. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

What's wrong is that you have to opt out of this c.rap instead of opting in to it.
    I was in the middle of a fiddly assembly process today that involved sticking self-adhesive sheets of felt to n expensive piece of aluminium. One careless move and it gets creased and ruined. Half way through it. the phone rang, so with everything precariously blanced, I grabbed the phone with the intention of explaining it was an inconveniet moment and to call back in five minutes, only to find it was one of those automated calls that everyone immediately hangs up on.
    At least with spam email you can delete it at your leisure. If I ruled the world, I would bring in a law that required any company planning on invading company and individual's privacy with just reason they should do so, and hang any offenders after the torture of repeatedly recieving spam telehone calls in their cell when they were desperate to hear news of how their families were coping in their absence.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

TPS does the job, but don't then go and fill in loads of forms online that ask for your phone number, because the lists get sold on to call centres. Also, my eldest (who worked for a brief time in a call centre) informs me that if you put the phone down on them straight away you remain active on their database for a future call. If you answer a couple of questions that indicate you're incompatible with the product they give up on you. Obviously that's a matter of personal choice - I still tend to put the phone down on them.

9. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I find the TPS service is brilliant - we haven't had nuisance calls for years.
    Whenever I am asked for my phone number by a company I always tell them not to put me on any marketing lists.
    Similar situation with canvassers calling at the door - when I complained about some dodgy energy company salesmen to the local police, they turned the estate into a 'No Cold Calling' area. Now the elderly people on the estate don't get troubled with sales callers and it's great. It didn't stop Trick or Treaters last month, though - just as well

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

this is fine till the calls come from India or other such asian place....beside hardly being able to understand them, they nearly always come on the virgin phone line......not the BT one as much
    I politely tell them to go away....or just ignore.......they alsways ask me if i have had a good day or how am I>

11. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

My dad told them he was dead!

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Depending on how much time I have on my hands I sometimes just keep them talking. Just the occassional yes/no/can you repeat that etc with the phone in the crook of my neck while I do something else.

If time is short I find a loud '**** o*f gets the message across.

13. When I was living at home, my parents had the TPS for the landline. It worked to a certain extent but we still seemed to get an awful lot of calls from people with an Indian sub-continent accent who had to be told that we subscribed to TPS so please take our number off your lists (Father provided the script). Nevertheless they rang again and again, especially "Hello I'm from Microsoft and our computers show that you have a virus on your system". In my flat I keep the landline on for the broadband connection and Sky but the second technology allows me to dump it, it's going, and for that very reason.

14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

We have that and ignore any that come up as "unavailable".
    There are some legitimate calls that get ignored but my view is that they will leave a message if it's important. Occasionally Mrs.M. picks the phone up, 9 times out of 10 it is some difficult to understand foreign accent following a set script.

15. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i have had tps for years and i'm still gettign calls now and again. no one except the inlaws and one of my friends ever uses the landline so i know what i'm gonna get usually. they get an earful. the cold callers, that is!

16. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Living at home as a teenager, a couple of months after my dad passed away, we received a cold call asking to speak to him. I know it was a cold call as the woman on the other end of the line stated her company and what she was selling.

I politely informed her that he had passed away and instead of politely saying sorry and then ringing off as all other cold callers had done up to that point, she paused and then asked if she could speak to his wife instead. I was astounded at her rudeness and told her that they'd been in the same car. She hung up pretty quickly after that.

My mum told me off for telling people she was dead, but did see the funny side!

17. I now do 2 things.

If I don't fancy talking, I simply put the phone down and turn the music up for them to listen to. After about 5 minutes I then replace the handset. Someone else said that they tell them they are putting them on hold, I just play the music.

If I fancy talking, I tell them I am somebody else and point out that they must have the wrong number. They then usually ask my postcode and a make one up, confuses them and they usually hang up.

18. I get a lot of nuisance calls on my mobile phone. Any number I don't recognise I don't answer the phone to and I Google the number afterwards and most of the time, it comes up with a Pest Alert website saying that they are nuisance callers.

19. They usually start by asking how I am. I now respond to that with "who's asking?". If they say they aren't selling anything, I tell them that I don't believe them, that their call wasn't invited, and that nobody in the house is interested, then put the phone down.