1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT'S right to time of to go for other interviews.

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by cazabelle, Jun 17, 2011.

1. I am currently searching for a new job at the end of my NQT year. But my head always keeps mentioning the cost of covering me going and making it sound like an inconvience. Can anybody tell me my legal rights please?

2. I am currently searching for a new job at the end of my NQT year. But my head always keeps mentioning the cost of covering me going and making it sound like an inconvience. Can anybody tell me my legal rights please?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

There are no 'legal rights' at all. Time off is at your head's discretion.
    It's unusual for a head to refuse such time off, however, unless the teacher concerned had already had a large amount of absence that year.
    Are you on a permanent or fixed-term contract? If the latter, it is rather unfair of your headteacher to refuse you time off and I suggest you contact your union about this.
    If the former, ask to see the school's policy on teacher absence - there should be one.

4. a fixed term contract for 1 year.
    thanks for replying