1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT's pay scale

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by bluechair84, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Just a quiky - do NQTs start on M1? I'm on my first year post NQT and am just double checking what M# I should be on as of September.
    Thanks

2. Just a quiky - do NQTs start on M1? I'm on my first year post NQT and am just double checking what M# I should be on as of September.
    Thanks

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

NQTs start on whatever they can get.

Most start on M1. A couple of years ago, teachers of shortage subjects could get up to M3, maybe even M4 if it was a challenging school. These days though, M2 is about the best a shortage subject teacher would get.

4. ok. I'm pretty sure was on M1 during NQT, so next year I hope to be able to get M3. I wasn't sure if being an NQT meant you were exempt from the pay scale and thus it didn't add to your accumulative earnings.
    Cheers

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

M1 to M3? How? No if you work 26 weeks in a school then you rise the pay scale each academic year, M1-M2-M3-M4 etc...

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

The Op said they were currently on their first year post NQT - and therefore can expect to get M3 this September.

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Ahhh... sorry in holiday mode. Apologies x

8. thanks all. I'm having some trouble with my agency at the moment. I have started a new thread in pay and conditions. I will be starting my third year come September (having done two full terms this year). As an NQT should start on M1 (where I started) unless agreed otherwise, I should be on M3 come Sept but the agency needed informing of this - according to them NQTs weren't on the scale. So I'm fighting my corner to ensure that I continue to progress.
    littlemissraw - I did write that first post somewhat cryptically, there was probably a more sensible way of expressing myself!

9. Hi
    If you are working for an agency then it is a little different. NQTs paid by local authorities are paid accroding to the main scale and many start on M1 but an individual can negotiate a higher starting salary (I know a mature career change physics graduate last year who started on M6).
    If you are employed for 26 separate weeks in a year then under LA rules you automatically go up one point on the scale - again you can try and negotiate a jump from say M1 to M3 if you take on extra work/responsibility or if the school wishes to try and stop you looking elsewhere for a job.
    An agency is not bound by these rules, but clearly the more they have to pay you the more they have to pay a school - some agencies try to claim that NQTs who have not completed induction cannot be paid more than M1, but this is not true, If I were being cynical I would say that it is simply a ploy to keep costs down and offer schools cheaper supply to try and get business.
    James

10. A quick question - I have been employed by two different LAs this year, one for my first NQT term and a different LA for the second and third term. I am moving to a third authority in September (I live on the border where three/4 LAS are all within a 10-15 min drive). Does this mean I have worked the required 26 weeks or is it 26 weeks with that authority and I have to do another 26 weeks with a new authority? I was expecting to go up to M2 in September having completed my NQT year this year. Can anyone advise?
    Thanks in advance :)

11. I have been trying to find something similar out. I am beginning my first post as NQT in september, on M1, will I then automatically go on to M2 the following year (Sept 2012) or do I stay on M1 until my Head / Mentor sees fit?
    Thanks

12. MelHug,
    as long as you have been employed for more than 26 weeks by September 2012 (which you will if you start this September and stay in employment) then you will automatically move to M2 in Sept 2012.
    Even if you were only working a 0.1 timetable, as long as you were employed for the 26 weeks, you move up the spine to the next point.

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You will need to tell your new LA about your various LA placements in the 2010-11 school year. They might want sight of your payslips or statements of employed weeks from your old LAs.
    It doesn't matter how many LAs employed you; you still tally up each individual calendar week when you were employed (even just part-time) by an LA.
    If on a contract, you can count in any weeks when you were on paid sick leave or paid holiday.
    If on LA daily supply rate, you count only the calendar weeks when you were at a school (even if just for a day).
    To the OP, your agency may have paid you at the same level as an LA paid NQT (M1) in your Induction year but they don't then have to increase your pay each year. They may pay an increased daily rate if they don't want to lose you off their books but they can impose a flat rate for all their teachers and you can like it or lump it.
    Beware of staying exclusively on agency rates for years. You could end up getting an LA post after 5 or 6 years as an agency teacher and find yourself placed on M1 of the Teachers' Payscale. Agency work does not entitle you to pay progression on the M scale.
    The first port of call for anyone considering supply work should be the LA supply service as that allows you to be paid the proper pay rate and to start contributing to the TPS (Teachers' Pension Scheme).
    Try to get at least one day per week employed by the LA supply service (or bookings direct from a school) and you can move up the official payscale on supply (as I did).