1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQTs in Yr 6

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by mrcooldude, Jun 30, 2012.

1. mrcooldude

mrcooldude Occasional commenter

Hey everyone, first post!
    I will be starting as an NQT in September with a year 6 class , I'm very excited about the prospect of teaching year 6 and have started thinking about the types of behaviour strategies I will use as well as how I want my class to look.
    I was wondering if any of you out there are in the same boat as me? Perhap you did Yr 6 in your NQT and can pass on some pearls of wisdom? I just want to take on as many ideas as I can between now and September so I feel well prepared for the year ahead!
    I look forward to any replies I get.
    Cheers

2. HJenx74

HJenx74 New commenter

Firstly, congratulations on the job. I'm just coming to the end of my NQT year which was also in Y6. As all schools and classes are different, it's difficult to give specific advice. I would say: 1) set your boundaries from day one and stick to them, 2) know your school SATs targets and Fisher Family trust targets (I only found these out last week!!!) These are often much inflated on the children's individual targets (which you will be aware of.)
    It's a tough year to take on for your NQT year - but it is a very "clean" and special year; and you do feel that you are given more intervention support as SATs loom. Hopefully you are in a large school so you can share planning with other Y6 teachers. I wasn't quite so lucky, so I did feel a little bit isolated and unsure of myself at times.
    Anyhow, I wish you all the very best, and one thing...it will fly by!!
    x

3. Hi there.
    I've just got my first post as an NQT also for September in a combined year 5 and 6 class (small school).
    I'm looking forward to seeing if any people have any tips for us.
    I'm just planning some transition day ideas at the minute. Let me know how you get on too.
    Year 6 definitely has its pros and cons. I haven't taught them much before, spent most of my PGCE in year 4, but am excited (+ a little bit scared!)
    Would love to share ideas and bounce ideas around over the summer.
    Good Luck!

4. mrcooldude

Thanks for the reply Jen! Firstly I haven't even heard of Fisher Family trust so thanks!
    The school is two form entry so I do have another Yr 6 teacher to plan with (who is also my mentor) so hopefully I should be well supported (at least to begin with) in that area.
    Was there anything you did which was particularly successful with your class or something you thought went really well?
    Thanks
    Tom

5. mrcooldude

Hopefully this thread can be used to share lots of ideas! Well done on getting your job, I'm also planning some transition stuff at the moment. Fun, fun, fun!

6. gnomie_p

gnomie_p New commenter

I'm in the same boat as you - starting my NQT year in Year 6 in September. I'm not as lucky as you though, as I will be the only Year 6 teacher eek!!

Hoping to use the forums to share planning ideas etc with other Year 6 NQTs and more experienced teachers :)

7. mrcooldude

Thanks for all the replies and gnomie thats some good advice!

Year 6 does seem scary but I think once we get stuck in it will become second nature very quickly!

8. Hi!

Ive just found out I will be starting my NQT year in September with Year 6 to. I am excited but admit I am a little nervous as I have never had a placement in Year 6. Hoping to get some useful tips and share ideas through the forums!

9. mrcooldude

Keep this thread bumped so other can add to it! Glad to have you on board :)

10. hi
    another NQT in year 6 here - looking forward to getting started as I graduated last year and feel I'm getting rusty!

11. Well done everyone on getting their jobs.
    Good to hear you have another year 6 teacher TommyP88. I can empathise with you gnomie. I'm in a small school, so I have all 17 year 6 and 16 year 5 in the same class. Although the year3+4 teacher is very supportive and helpful even though we can't share planning.
    Good luck this summer everyone planning your long term curriculum for the year. My advice from my school has been 'go with your strengths'. Start with a topic you love. You can rearrange the order of things and the topics and anything really if fab learning is going on whatever!
    We;ll get the hang of it quickly I'm sure. So long as we don't forget about SATs and don't let the time fly by too fast!

It won't be long till we are hearing how everyone's first weeks went!

12. mrcooldude

I definitely agree with this advice! The key is to be assertive and believe in our own abilities. Has anyone thought about the routines they are going to have in their class?

13. ellie_rose

ellie_rose New commenter

I've just done half of my NQT year in Year 6. It's a good age because they're starting to develop into teenagers and move away from childhood. This is why you need to be extra firm with them from the start because they will push boundaries and you might get some of the dreaded 'teenage' attitude! Make sure you address friendship problems quickly, particularly between girls, as we had quite a few issues and it's easy for things to escalate.

It will be really busy, especially as you move towards SATs. Include lots of SATs example questions as Maths starters because this will get them used to the style of question without making it obvious that it's from a SATs paper. Be extra organised from the start because you will probably be approached by secondary schools so you may need to be ready to pass on information about children (levels, family situation, medical info, friendship issues, strong/weak subjects etc.) (this won't be until the sping/summer term though.) You may also be organising the end of year production, leavers' disco, activity week, etc. I was the only Year 6 teacher in my school so I felt alone at times, but I did learn loads from it. Good luck with the year ahead.

14. gnomie_p

gnomie_p New commenter

Thank you for your advice!!

15. I didn't do my NQT year in year 6 but moved into it for my 2nd so although I can't comment on being an NQT, I can understand how it feels to be inexperienced but in the year group.
    It may feel scary, but so does starting any year so don't let that put you off. Year 6 is amazing and I love it (going into my thrid year of it in September).
    My tips:
    Ask for help before it gets too much. This applies in any year but especially in your NQT year. People want to help you but can only do so if you are willing to take it. Every teacher, no matter how experienced, will have times when things get overwhelming-the trick is to know how to deal with it and who to go to for advice/support.
    Find out dates and deadlines and be organised. This is vital, especially if you are the only year 6 teacher. Find out when applications for extra time are and be ready for that. Know when sats dates are. Also, know when data must be handed in/parents' evenings dates etc. This stops you from having to stress last minute if you're already planned and organised.
    Remember they're still children. Loads of primary teachers are almost scared of year 6. Yes, they're the oldest, but they're still only 10/11. They love praise, rewards, fun etc. Mine this year would do anything for the reward of helping with the little ones as they got to 'play'. Don't let them set the pace- it's your classroom.
    Have high expectations. Go in with set rules and tell them what you expect. They want to be treated in a 'grown-up' way so tell them that you will do so unless they give you reason not to trust them. Show them respect and model the way you want them to behave. Whilst I have said that they're still children, they are the oldest ones and they should have some more responsibilities etc
    The most important thing though, is to enjoy them. I love year 6 and find it so fulifilling. To see them change from little 10 year olds to pre-teens ready for secondary is amazing and I feel so proud when they come back and visit, telling me how well they're getting on in their new school.
    Good luck but first, enjoy your holiday. Also, plan something nice for October half term- you'll need the break!