1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQTs in year 6....

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by bethadams101, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Hi,

Any other NQTs starting in year 6? Or just finished their NQT in year 6?

Any fantastic advice or ideas?

Feeling a bit nervous but excited!

2. Hi Beth,
    I've almost finished my NQT year in 5/6. Really enjoyed it in a challenging school and have some excellent results. First piece of fantastic advice is to make sure you allow time for yourself. The hours WILL be long and you will get into the habit of always either working or thinking about working! Enjoy the summer whilst you can!
    Get to know your kids, how they enjoy learning and focus on areas where they are weak. By the time SATS come around you will be flying! Sure there will be lots more helpful advice from the visitors to this site, good luck [​IMG]

3. I would also add that watch as many colleagues and talk to them as much as possible. It will enable you to pick up good habits (and eradicate some bad ones!) early on in your career

4. Hey! I'm an NQT starting in year 6 too :) I've never worked in upper key stage 2 so I am slightly daunted by it!
    Any hints or tips?

5. I have just completed my final two terms of NQT in year 5/6 class and have throughly enjoyed it - it is a challenging school and has been tough at times but looking back I can see I have learned so much from it. I was surprised, as an NQT, to be placed in Year 6 as this is something my GTP headteacher would never have done - her most experienced and best teachers went in year 6. I feel flattered to have been given that opportunity. I was asked to stay but I am moving schools and have 3/4 next year so will miss the year 6 challenge, but I am also looking for an opportunity to consolidate a little more everything I have done this year without the SATs pressure.
    Some of the advice given is very good. Don't forget yourself and your work/life balanceor you could quickly burn out. Year 6 is intense and this doesn't stop at May if you have 5/6 either.
    Use your colleagues - mine have been an excellent source of help and support. I would have liked the opportunity to observe more colleagues but unfortunately this hasn't been possible but I did a lot of observation during my GTP year.

6. Hi
    I am an NQT starting in year 6. Very nervous and still don't have a clue what I am doing, my placements were in yr 2 and 3 so and advice on where to begin would be helpful.

7. Me too, my placements were Years 1, 3 and 4, so I feel a bit like I'm not sure how to act around 10 year olds!