1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQTs in shortage subjects to benefit from £9k salary boost to stay in the classroom

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 7, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

‘Newly-qualified teachers in maths, science and languages who work in “high needs” areas of the country are to receive payments of £9,000 on top of their salaries, the Department for Education has announced today.

The retention payments are being paid for the first time ever to new teachers in chemistry and physics as well as modern foreign languages – last year, they were paid only to maths teachers – as the DfE attempts to address teacher recruitment and retention issues.’

https://www.tes.com/news/science-and-mfl-nqts-get-ps9k-keep-teaching

Is this the right way to tackle the recruitment and retention crisis? Is it fair that other NQTs won’t benefit from the retention payment?

2. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

Another short sighted scheme. The initial bursary of £25000 is not dependent on staying in teaching. Train for a year in a shortage subject and you've got a nice lump sum, a deposit for a house maybe, and then skip off into the sunset without ever working full time as a teacher. With this new grant, all you're encouraging people to do is remain in the profession for three years.

Make the profession more attractive and then people will stay in it. Throwing money at it is just a short term fix.

eljefeb90 and bonxie like this.
  3. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I am sure everyone will say the same but here goes..pay is only part of the problem, but is definitely an issue.Graduate traineeships often start at between £28K and £32K. My son started on £31K and works a 35 hour week It's the ridiculous hours you have to work to do most of what you need to do or are required to do (not usually the same thing!). With the last NQT I had in my department, I worked out her hourly rate based on the hours I knew that she actually worked. It worked out as between £5 and £6 an hour, compared to someone working a 37 hour week with 6 weeks holiday...yes, I factored in the extra 6 weeks holiday, imagining she worked 37 hours every week. I was trying to convince her that she had to do LESS, that the hours she was working were actually illegal at her pay grade, never mind for a MFL graduate who had spent five years at university and was £40,000 in debt. I subsequently did the same exercise for me and my hourly rate was about £13 an hour . I retired soon afterwards and work , sans stress, as an occasional invigilator, earning between £10 and £15 an hour.
    There needs to be a root and branch reform to pay and conditions.

Eszett and MacGuyver like this.
  4. letap

letap Occasional commenter

For f@&ks sake why can't they f$%king retain experienced teachers in shortage subjects who are proven in terms of ability in the classroom and show durability rather than get rid of them for spurious reasons. Its not rocket science.