1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQTs - how to write a good personal statement

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Nov 16, 2009.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

NQTs applying for jobs:I asked WelshWizard to write this to give you some hints on drafting your application personal statement, since it can be a bit tricky for you when you haven't yet done much - or any - teaching practice. Hope it helps you out! I also asked John at Luton to explain the NQT pools for you - look for his thread too. Theo.<font size="3">WelshWizard writes: </font>
    I have been asked to begin a thread to support NQTs who are being faced with a very tight timetable when making a teaching application.

Generally primary NQT pools open in early January and can begin selection in February. As appointments are often made for July and many PGCE students in particular are faced with completing an application early in the New Year with little ( or in some cases no) experience of direct teaching.

Heads and recruiters do recognise this but you need to make sure your application is effective.

1. Do not be tempted to copy others' application letters - many will offer on this website but it is very easy to use the same "winning phrase" or expression as the next candidate. Every year we have to reject applicants with the same supporting statement as we do not know which one is original. Heads want to read your comments and ideas hence the personal statement or letter. One person's experience is never the same as another's.

2. Do not begin with a chronological account of your schooling up to university. You may have been a milk monitor but is that strictly irrelevant. Further it is a very uninspired way to reach an audience. Your communication skills are what is important.

3. Reflect upon your degree, what skill and knowledge have you acquired to help you teach the age group/subject?

4. Do use the careers services of your universities - you pay for them with your tuition fees - and they have very useful publications produced by AGCAS on getting your first teaching job and general information on applications and interviews. Additionally the unions also produce guidance free to student members.

5. Approach your application like a lesson. Start with impact and grab the attention. Develop your ideas and make key point about your strengths and skills. Don't forget to also add in your extra curricular abilities- sports, arts, creative etc.

Above all do watch out for closing dates
    Best of luck to all NQT JobSeekers! TG

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

More general tips in this thread:

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bump this up for the NQTs

4. Hello
    I'm half way through an application ( or rather, it's drafted, but I'm not pleased with it ...) and could do with some advice. My problem is a bit different from that above, in that I'm on a SCITT course so compared with other trainees I have quite a lot of school experience, including successfully completed teaching practice in Y3 (autumn term) and Y2 (spring term). However I am applying for a Y1 job - I know that I really want to start my career in KS1 if at all possible.
    What I've done so far is to go through the person specification and write a supporting comment for each 'thing' where possible including examples. So for instance, where it asks about adapting teaching to different learning styles I've given an example of a Y2 lesson - but of course in a Y1 class I would have done something different. I feel that as a result doesn't look like a strong Y1 application. I have written about the Y1 and Reception experience I have (lesson observations, using EY and KS1 data for tracking, I have assisted with a Rec /Y1 lunchtime music club on a weekly basis, and I have arranged to spend a week in a Y1 class in my 'home' school after Easter) but ...
    So really my question is, will heads understand that you don't necessarily get to choose which year you train in? And are there any smart things I can do to make my application more Y1? Should I actually write a paragraph explaining why I think I would make a great KS1 teacher rather than KS2? The thing is I don't want to over-egg it as I know I'd make a good KS2 teacher in some ways, I just enjoy the challenge of KS1 so much more!
    And one other thing - is it 'done' to mention nice comments you've had on your teaching practice profiles? eg I was wondering about mentioning my strengths as seen from another person's point of view ...
    Many thanks for your anticipated help!
    Px

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Up ro the top

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And up again
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bump
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bump it up

Good luck

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, although Julia is thinking of organising some more.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

10. Really useful advice, thank you!

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Don't forget also, Ahmet, to read all the advice in the Welcome thread!
    Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, every week in print in
    the TES magazine, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service
    seminars or individual consultations

Moving into SLT
    seminar on 23 March. See you there!
    www.tesweekendworkshop176.eventbrite.co.uk

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter