1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQTs: how much do you really earn?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by gaidig, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Hello

I'm doing a PGCE this year and am wondering how much NQTs really earn. The M1 pay scale is £19,641 in England, £23,577 in inner London, £ 22,554 in outer London and £ 20,586 fringe.
    But how much do you actually get every month into your account -various deductions done?
    Thanks for letting me know! And don't forget to say whether you're England, inner London, outer London or fringe.

2. Hello

I'm doing a PGCE this year and am wondering how much NQTs really earn. The M1 pay scale is £19,641 in England, £23,577 in inner London, £ 22,554 in outer London and £ 20,586 fringe.
    But how much do you actually get every month into your account -various deductions done?
    Thanks for letting me know! And don't forget to say whether you're England, inner London, outer London or fringe.

3. hen

hen

Hello!! After all the tax, pensions, NI contributions, student loans and all the other horrible people that take my money (sob!) I take home just over a grand a month. I'm M1 pay scale in England.

My tax has been a bit funny tho (different amounts each month) so I'm a bit confused - so don't take this as gospel!!

The wage looks really nice before all the deductions but afterwards its really quite depressing. Hope this helps.

4. fringe is around 1100 a month after tax, ni etc.

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

6. Thanks a lot! It does look really depressing...
    Well, there's a whole week off to cheer me up!

Another question: as an NQT, how much can you afford to pay for your rent? (again, say where you live, it makes such a big difference!)

7. I live in Leeds and pay £400 a month. I am struggling, and therefore moving. blub.

8. I'm inner London and get £1365 each month after tax, NI, pension and student loan. I pay £355 a month for rent which is very reasonable for London!

9. Hi,
    I pay £750 per month on rent :-(

10. £1399 a month after various taxes. Which is, lets be honest, pretty creamy-delicious.

11. It seemed so to me too, until it dawned on me that I now have to pay back all my debt and council tax and things I never had to pay for before. I'm earning more than I've ever earnt, and yet am skinter than I have ever been. RUBBISH!!
    Mind you, in 7 years I'll be paid off then I can actually buy mascara again, and maybe go nuts and have a takeaway.

12. My partner earns a lot more than me (although still manages to be as broke as me by the end of the month). He pays a greater share of the rent. I pay £350. Its not easy, but it's the most I've ever earned so I don't really know any different!

giggle. x

13. I pay 550 rent and thats pretty cheap in london.

A large one bed flat, I have to pay bills on top though but i find it affordable, just turned NQT so was paying this on GTP salary which was 1100 a month.

14. I'm M2 Elsewhere, and after:

- Student loan repayments
    - Pension
    - Tax
    - NI

I take home about 1,230 a month.

I share a poky little flat with Mr P and my half of the rent is £270. Don't forget council tax too, which is (for us) £100 a month between us.