1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT'S - How long did it take you to find your first teaching post?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by WilkoT, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Im near the end of my teaching degree now, and almost a qualified teacher, so its time to apply for jobs. Im a male Primary Trainee.

How long did it take you to find your first teaching job?

Wilko

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I graduated in July and am starting my first job in January. I've been quite lucky. Probably a better question to ask would be "How many applications did you do before you got a job?" For me it was about 30.

3. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

I started applying in February, got my job in July. Between 20 and 30 applications and 3 interviews (with 5 more interviews turned down due to clashing/lined up/invited to after I had received a job). I was determined to get a job and spent a lot of time I didn't have on my final placement filling in application forms. Luckily it paid off and I'm working at a school I absolutely love. However, it must be said that a lot of success in applications and interviews is down to luck!

4. rainbow_gold

rainbow_gold New commenter

start looking now and applying now, the job situation is tough and as people are saying it is taking lots of applications to find that first job.Good luck!!

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

I know a lot of people will say you are a man in primary-no problems in getting a job but please do not be complacent.It is competitive regardless of your gender.There is also the stereotype that men are poor organisers and cannot multi task so your application needs to show you do possess these skills.
    The job market is very regional so it depends which part of the country you are located in. generally in areas of expanding primary population you may get more opportunities. Check with the careers service and tutors for help/information about what the local trends are.

6. I was really lucky :)
    Finished my degree in June - started my post in July, first application and first interview and I got the job :)
    Advice - get your tutor to look over your application - it helped me no end :)

7. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

I qualified in June of this year and started applying for jobs around April time. I have probably completed around 20 or so applications and of those 20 I was offered 14 interviews, of which I attended 10 and failed to secure my first job due to nerves I think; I really fell apart during the question part of the interview.
    So basically I was gutted but continued searching into September and one job came up and I completed the teaching part one day and the question interview the next and they also gave me the questions which I feel supported me so much, and I got the job! I was delighted I started on the 27th September so even if you don't get a job come the start of term don't let it get to you and keep going!!

8. I started looking in April, I went to 5 interviews. I was offered 3 out of 5 jobs, but turned two down as they were one year contracts. I took the 5th job (permanent contract) in June. I received QTS in July.

9. Thanks for the replies, they are very encouraging. At uni, Im forever hearing about how there is virtually no chance of getting a job, there are 200 applicants to every single job, etc. etc. So its nice to hear some success stories in a way!

Where's a good place to begin looking for jobs? Ive had a quick look on the jobs section on here, and cannot find many teaching positions available.

Thanks!

10. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

It's a bit too early for jobs for next September at the moment. I found when I was looking that the TES had more secondary jobs than primary. Most jobs can be found on local authority websites.

11. This is where I get most of my job listings from, as schools in my area don't seem to post to TES or E-Teach. As I live within easy distance of 3 counties, I have to check a number of websites regularly.
    As a poster said above, it really does depend on where you live. I know many NQT's in my area of the country have struggled to secure jobs, including those who qualified 2 years ago or more. From the interviews I've had, schools haven't appointed NQT's and gone for those higher up the pay scale. I remember at least 2 interviews where I was the only NQT!

12. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I'm secondary and qualified July 2011. I secured a job in September 2011 although this is a maternity contract and will finish in May.
    I applied for 6 teaching jobs and got the 6th job. I am worried about employment once this contract finishes but just have to hope that something comes up, it is also a worry because I may go the school summer holiday without pay.
    Most of the PGCE trainees from my TP now have jobs although some work in FE and some as cover supervisors.
    My main advice would be don't be alarmed if you don't secure a job by the time you complete your course as most of the other trainees didn't secure work until September and October.

13. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

If you want to hear the other side of the story, pop on to the jobseekers forum. You've posted on an NQT forum, I'd imagine most people posting on here already have a job. There were at least 60 people applying for every job round me, and there were actually a fair number of jobs going. Despite getting outstanding on my PGCE I still filled in 30 applications before getting a job.
    Yes it's nice to hear the other side of the story but I don't want you to get your hopes up too much!!

14. Thanks for your replies.

Yes don't worry, I don't plan on getting my hopes up. Im hoping to have a fair few interviews before (hopefully) being offered a job.

Okay thankyou. Im planning on filing a few applications early, so I will look on the local authorities websites soon.

I do appreciate your replies, thanks.

15. I started applying in March.
    After 21 applications and 3 interviews, I got offered a job in October.
    I start in the new year.
    So all in all, about 10 months between applying and starting.

16. Started applying in March, graduated in July, sent off probably 50+ applications, had 8 interviews offered (but turned down one as it clashed), have come second in most and the job has gone to a more experienced candidate. I don't have a job going into the spring term. Aroun 50% of my (BA) course don't have a job. It very much depends where you are - there are a lot more jobs in some areas than others. Sorry to put a dampner on things!

17. Took me three years, did supply in that time. I'm up in Lancashire where it's meant to be tough competition. Sent around 100 applications a year, and had 4 interviews over the three years. Go on your council website they'll have a section for teaching jobs, just google it. Good luck!