1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQTs applying for unqualified jobs.

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by sioban, Nov 7, 2011.

1. I completed my PGCE in the summer and have been looking for work ever since. I've applied for every teaching post going and have had a fair few interviews( all unsuccessful).
    Things are getting desperate now though and I've started applying for other roles in schools just so I don't get totally out of touch. There are a lot of jobs such as Learning mentor, Head of Year, Pastoral Manager, Cover Supervisor etc, etc, I have applied for loads of these but have not even got a reply to say I was unsuccessful, let alone an interview.
    My question is: do schools ignore applications from qualified teachers if the role is an unqualified one? Is there really such a thing as being over-qualified?
    I'm at the end of the proverbial tether now as far as job applications go.
    Anyone have any pearls of wisdom?

2. Hey, I totally know how you feel as until I found employment last month I was in the same boat. Have you had your applications checked by someone? One reason could be because schools will know that as soon as a qualified teacher role comes up, you'll be leaving them and they'll have to find someone else. But still, get your applications checked as perhaps you're doing something you haven't even noticed that puts people off. Also, post this on the jobseekers forum, there'll be more advice going there. And finally, head of year is a qualified teacher role, at a higher level than an nqt!

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Traditionally, experienced teachers have acted as year heads. In some schools now, they have become non-teaching posts.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Some posts may not be appropriate and would anyway get a huge response from their " target" group so Heads do not have to widen the field to include qualified teachers. Its one of the easiest ways of shortlisting to discount the under and over qualified.The majority of NQT posts still come up late Spring and Summer so this time of the year is notoriously slow for both appointments and supply work.

5. <font size="2">I am a qualified
    PE teacher and qualified July 2010, since I have been a cover supervisor at a
    local high school...although I am constantly applying for positions I am often
    being knocked back, I think this could have something to do with my current
    job! </font>

<font size="2">Basically its catch 22, you&rsquo;re damned if you do and damned if you
    don't....can you get any supply work?</font>