1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQTs and students

Discussion in 'Primary' started by laura_holmes, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Can an NQT have a teaching student?

2. Can an NQT have a teaching student?

3. It would seem a bit daft, not to mention counterproductive, to have a teacher mentor a student in their NQT year. I'd imagine it'd be easier to have the NQT as class teacher, and have a separate mentor if that arrangement is necessary.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

They CAN, but it isn't generally advisable.

5. Thanks. I agree that it is not advisable, but it is happening in my school so I just wondered if any ruling existed to 'prove' it wasn't allowed - seems not!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

In theory all parties should agree to have a student teacher and be able to support that person. Sometimes things happen in a school and at the last minute actually an NQT is the very best person to have that student.

But it isn't something I ever plan to do in my school, though we have two excellent NQTs and I would be happy with a student there if both of them were ok with it.

7. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

would the training provider be happy with that? and the NQT monitoring people?

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Not sure about happy, but sometimes it turns out to be the best option. And it is allowed so nothing to complain about if all parties are happy.