1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

nqt

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by mrets, Nov 12, 2015.

1. mrets

mrets New commenter

I had a trial few days working with a school who are looking to fill an nqt post starting in December. I know I was doing really well because one of the teachers told me they were going to give me the job. But I was told later on in the week that I didn't have enough experience.
    I have 2 years pre qualification teaching experience and I am a nqt so obviously I'm going to be new and inexperienced so I don't know what that means.
    I'm doing supply at the minute and looking for a nqt position asap but I think what let's me down is confidence . I lack confidence outside the classroom .. I'm too shy and it affects working with the team around me. I feel I need to build this up but I just don't know how. I am confident with the teaching and classes etc but after so much interviews for positions etc I know there is an issue with my confidence. I just want a nqt position. Can anyone give me advice and tips. . ?

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Worth asking helpful people with some experience if they'd give you a practice interview; see if you can video it as well (quality won't matter, mobile phone would do fine). You can then see what you're doing and get some feedback.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Hi I suggest you post on Job seekers section and look at the resources Theo Griff provides there. With regard to NQT posts if you are primary then look at whether there are any local pool recruitment specifically for new teachers as at least then you are in competition with your peers and not experienced teachers.
    The availability of posts depends very much on the local job market and this term is the quietest time for recruitment which will gear up in late spring -early summer term when the majority of NQTs are appointed.