1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by claresmiffy84, Apr 20, 2012.

1. I have done half of my NQT but have yet to complete the rest. Could someone please tell me how long I have to complete the rest of it and what happens if i don't get it finshed soon? I am teaching abroad at the moment but want to return to the UK at some point to finish my NQT.

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There used to be an expectation that NQTs would complete Induction withing 5 years of starting Induction.
    That expectation was abolished on 1st Sept 2007 and you are noe free to take as long as you like to complete Induction, or as long as it takes.
    The only limits are on how long you can take non-Induction teaching placements in the State 5-16 sector whilst waiting to secure Induction work.
    When any supply allowances are used up, you have to desist from teaching in the State 5-16 sector until you can get at elasta term's length of work, whenre Induction can be continued or completed.
    It's not possible to have done half of your NQT year. There are 3 Induction terms. Do you have one or two of them 'banked' with the LA?

3. Induction is completed in trhree terms and half terms will not count for induction purposes, so you will have either completed one thir or two thirds of your induction, not half.
    There is no limit for completing. A new set of induction standards is due to come into effect in September (depending on getting changes to the current legal set up for induction). Certain schools abroad may be able to offer induction (provided they meet certain key criteria) from September.
    The Sage