1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT yr, in school where mum is HT.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Nealswife, May 23, 2020.

1. Nealswife

Nealswife Occasional commenter

Case where the NQT is offspring of the HT, in Academy school. Offspring is lovely enough and enthusiastic but it compromises staff - they cannot be impartial as the HT does not take kindly to critique. It is unfair advantage but perhaps, all acceptable.
    No one dare to question this practice - staff joke about their knitting skills....sharpening la guillotine!

2. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

What is the dofferences between to criticize and to critique?

3. Nealswife

HT does not want to hear the opinions of others, unless they are favourable, particularly towards offspring as that is her 'baby' = you better not pass judgment.

4. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

When a school I worked in converted to an academy, we did wonder whether the school had become a family business!

Thousands upon thousands every year poured from the school budget into an educational company owned by the friends and family of the management. Staff were strongly encouraged to use this company's products by the management - so the school's purchases added additional income to their business. It may all have been legal, but it certainly felt a bit dodgy.

Internal and external appointments in school occasionally took us by surprise - strong candidates ignored over weaker ones who turned out to have many friends in common with the management.

Is it any wonder I haven't got a good word to say for academisation? It was life on the gravy train for the management and the family, to the detriment of the pupils' education through greed.

No, you can't do anything about it. Yes, tread very carefully. Since working in that academy, I keep a very close watch on what I say and who I talk to.

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well surely that is only relevant if you want to pass opinion on others to the HT?
    Who does that?
    The bigger issue might well be for this NQT. From what you say, everybody is either walking on eggshells or whispering around them. There is absolutely no scope in what you are saying to work "normally" with them, just a complete focus on who they are.
    You don't say if they work well or if there are issues, and certainly if there were issues you'd just need to say them either to the NQT or their mentor.
    "They haven't done this form right"
    "They need a less scatterbrained approach".
    "One kid told me that bit of the lesson was unclear and actually I agree"

And the response could well be "ok, I'll pass that on"

I'm not sure what you have in mind as "critique"?
    How about "cannot stand their haircut, stupid kid of HT! And now I can't do my job because there's nobody I can say that to"

I guess my point is that it seems to be your focus on their provenance rather than anything they have done which is a hindrance.
    What have they done wrong according to their job description?

6. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

It stinks but there's not much you can do about it. I'd just avoid the NQT as much as possible and would say very little to him/her but would remain professional at all times. Remember he/ she will likely be a HT in a short space of time. I suppose all the greasy pole climbers will be sucking up to him/her. I'd also start looking for a new school as I wouldn't like to work in that situation. It would **** me off. It's bad enough having a HTs or colleagues child in your class.

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If I were an NQT (or any employee in any business) I'd hate to start my career that way. Even if I were treated more harshly by my boss/mother than everyone else, even if I had to work harder and be twice as good as everyone else to get promoted, no-one else in the school would believe I had achieved anything on my own merits. They'll always tread warily around you, you won't get invited to social events, and no-one will tell you the latest gossip (they'll assume you'll run straight to your mum with it). You're in a lose-lose situation, start work somewhere no-one knows who your parents are.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  8. Nealswife

Quick promotion and lots of extra training in place - going places, faster pace than the rest of the younger staff. No one dare to challenge.
    Rott Weiler - promotion withe excellent references and a lot arrogance. Staff glad the offspring moved on as no one could talk freely to pass any comments - as they would go back to mum....offspring was included in everything, fear that heads would roll otherwise.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

10. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Happened in a school I taught in. It didn't go down to well with a lot of the staff. I felt sorry for the person in question as they were pretty decent and had an underlying health condition requiring part-time hours - so I can understand the parental wish to support. In the event they moved on fairly swiftly, feeling generally uncomfortable during the time they were with us.

Nealswife likes this.
  11. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

There should be a law against it IMO, in fact I would say there is merit in a law where if two members of school staff get into a relationship, one must leave.

ms honey and Nealswife like this.
  12. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Alone again naturally

13. Nealswife

Oh Canary - alone and still arguing to uphold the truth - not easy but if we all accepted everything push our way, then the world would be a sorry place.
    I just hold no power to change much except things I can touch. I never thought I would be arguing such stupid ethical unimportant in the universe as the sun will still shine and the rivers will still flow...but the fish may dies, slowly.
    A canary caged in London, conjures an interesting image - no where near a tin mine, but pollution.

14. Nealswife

Take a look at the Kinnock gravy boat - more like a Cruise liner.

15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I imagine in some schools this works very well, in others not at all.
    Depends on the personality of both and the size of the school.

A bit like the head's child being a pupil, sometimes it works well and sometimes not.

Being an academy or not is irrelevant.

And by the sound of it, this NQT has long since moved on elsewhere and will be standing on their own two feet. Problem over and done with.

16. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

Why?

It happens all the time in other jobs or professions and people deal with it.

Surely you are not suggesting teachers cannot cope with what is a common and natural situation.

17. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

It affects no one other than the NQT who will constantly have to worry about not being accepted, not being included and having to be twice as good as everyone else just to be judged as acceptable.

As long as the kids get a good deal, why is it even for you to comment?

ajc89 and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  18. Nealswife

Because the offspring got away with things and an excellent reference, plus more training than others. Are you suggesting this is not a valid question?

19. Nealswife

Not where there is accountability for unequal treatment and privileges given to that person - plus, on taxpayers money? It's funded by us all and where is the transparency in that person moving on, with glowing references and promotion, whilst others are left behind....we're not dealing with an empire but it seems wrong for star child to be feared, like the parent.

20. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

You didn't actually ask a question that I can see. You didn't say that they had more training or any unfair advantage. You did just comment that others had to watch themselves.

To say schools are only partially functioning and I understand you're not currently in one, you have an extremely high number of dramas to dwell on. I would suggest picking one at a time or walking away from the whole lot and trying to reclaim ownership of your thoughts.

ajc89 likes this.