1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Year

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by kathrynrevill, Jun 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. kathrynrevill

kathrynrevill New commenter

Hi everyone! I've just found out that I will be doing my NQT year in Year 2 in Sept. Does anyone have any go to resources, ideas of things I can start to prep and collate etc and any words of advice?? Thanks in advance:)

2. MissCleo

MissCleo New commenter

I wouldn't do too much too soon, you don't know what resources and planning will already be in place in your new school. Is it a one-form entry? If not, it is likely the other teachers in the year group will already have things in place that you may also borrow, as well as ideas for places to look for resources related to the topics the school teaches.

One thing that might be a good idea is to familiarise yourself with the national curriculum and expectations for Year 2, especially if this is a new year group for you. You should also look at the expectations for Year 1 and make sure you are prepared for children who may not have met these expectations yet. Another good idea might be to find out if you will have children with specific learning needs or EAL learners etc. in your class and read up on strategies to support these children.

I still think the most important thing is to make sure you have a good rest so you can be prepared to start the year with a lot of energy. The Autumn term is often a long one and, as an NQT, you will have a lot of things to wrap your head around.

Kartoshka likes this.
  3. olivia_lh

olivia_lh New commenter

Congratulations on getting a job! :) as MissCleo said, familiarise yourself with the national curriculum above all. I'd suggest becoming especially familiar with the words children are expected to spell correctly in Y1 and Y2 if you've had more experience in KS2 during training. I'm in Y2 at the moment and found English marking so much quicker once I had the key spellings in my head. You can then focus on the actual writing and just appreciate their attempts at spelling phonetically!

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The short answer is YES, there are heaps of educational resources for Year 2 on the TES. Some of them are free, I am glad to say, but quite a lot you have to pay for. "******" probably has loads of Year 2 stuff as well. However, the most important thing is to find out asap what the school already has. Reinventing the wheel is a rather pointless exercise.

Usually what happens is that you become familiar with a topic and then you find that it has been moved up a year or down or just removed. Therefore you do need to be up-to-date with what (and what is not) in the Year 2 curriculum. It might save a lot of work!