1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT year!!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by zainy91, Mar 20, 2016.

1. zainy91

zainy91 New commenter

Hi,

I am currently doing my PGCE Primary and have a 2 year old son. I was wondering if I need to do my NQT straight after? I mean even if I do, I don’t think I will continue working after that 1 year induction period and will have a gap of at least 7 to 8 years until my kids are old enough to be independent. So, in those circumstances is it best to do my NQT later on, when I will be up to date with the experience? Or is it better to get it over and done with now. Will it also have a detrimental effect on my QTS either way? I have enquired about the time limit and have been informed that there is no time limit to serve the induction. The 5 year time limit that is currently in place is for supply work and not for permanent positions, i.e. you can’t continue to do supply work 5 years after being awarded QTS if you haven’t served your induction period.

I’m mainly sceptical about 2 issues:

1) If I serve my NQT induction now, and have a very long gap, would it affect my chances of being considered when I apply at schools later?

2) If I do leave it till I’m ready to work, would it be hard to secure an induction after such along gap?

Also with the recent changes the Department of Education has announced with regards to QTS not being considered as a requirement for teachers, I’m just curious that even if I serve my one year induction, will it be of much help when I later want to work 7/8 years after?

Link of the above changes: http://schoolsweek.co.uk/educational-excellence-everywhere-schools-white-paper-reveals-qts-plans/

I would really appreciate some advice and suggestions.

Many thanks

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I asked a similar question earlier today over in New Teachers, but haven't had any replies yet.

You don't need to do your NQT year straight after qualifying, but general advice is that it's a good idea. That's because your training is fresh in your mind, you've been taught about all the latest things in education, and you're generally as ready as you'll ever be to take on that first, tough year of teaching. It may well be hard to find a job in which you can complete your NQT year after many years out of training... at least if you have completed one year in a school post-training, employers know you have some experience of taking responsibility for a class for an extended period of time.

Saying that, no-one knows the future for newly qualified teachers (one or two years post training), and doing your NQT year next year doesn't guarantee you will be any better off in 7/8 years' time than if you didn't do it. I suspect that those returning to teaching after extended time out of school may well be required to jump through hoops to get back in. But who knows?

3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

You can't predict what is going to happen in the future. Things can change a lot in that time. It will depend on what you want to do, full stop.

I will say this though, it will be hard to get back in after a 7 year break, with no experience in all probability. If possible, I would be looking at doing the NQT year, otherwise you will be looking for a job in 7-8 years having never taught. I am unsure how your assertion that doing the NQT later 'When I will be up to date with the experience' works.

If you do the NQT now you can also be doing bits of supply over the coming years, without worrying about the 5 year rule, and work on your terms, to keep your hand in. When it comes to looking for a permanent job you have then got some experience to use.

4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Sound advice from Dynamo.

5. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Do your NQT first then do bits of supply whilst off with your children. Chances are teaching requirements and curriculum will be completely different in 7 years time. The supply work will allow you to keep your skills up to date, even if you just do 1 day a month.