1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT year

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tomjohn1, Mar 3, 2016.

1. tomjohn1

tomjohn1 New commenter

Has anyone done their NQT year by teaching one day a week? How long did it take you? Thank you.

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

As a teacher is contracted to work 195 days a year then I would have thought it would take 195 weeks or nearly 4 years. However as you are supposed to have NQT non contact time I would imagine that it will take longer than that. I certainly have not heard of anyone doing it so slowly.

Whether it would be allowed is questionable.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If an NQT is working a 0.2 contract, then presumably it will take 5 times longer than full time to complete the year, ie 5 years. However it is unlikely that an NQT would keep such a contract for 5 years, so things may well change for them in that time. Also you can be signed off early if doing very well, so a school may take that option.

Also said NQT would need to prove they have been responsible for progress and attainment of a class, which would be tricky if they only teach one day a week.

Maybe speak to the NQT team at the LA and see what they advise?