1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT year

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by shellcarter19, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Hi all I am in need of some advice about my NQT year. I have been employed by my school on a 0.5 contract. However they have asked me to work an extra morning in 3 different year groups to cover a set class for 6 weeks each. This means that I will have 18 weeks of working an extra morning, these weeks will be spread out over the academic year but are predicted to be in successive half term blocks. Will these extra mornings be counted as 'induction time' and reduce how long it will take to complete the NQT year? I hope that this makes sense.
    Regards
    Shell

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

If you are just covering the classes rather than the whole planning-teaching cycle then it would not count. It is up to the school to determine what is appropriate for an induction, but generally anything that a "regular" teacher does can count as inductable. The next aspect is the time allocation- a term is the minimum perid for NQT assessment so part timers pro rata the induction to accommodate this. O.5 means 2 terms before first assessment and you can use the induction calculator on the DfE website to calculate the impact of any increased contract time. In addition individual days can also be recorded on the DfE assessment forms.There is more scope for Appropriate Bodies to reduce or realign the induction perod under the new regulations so there can be more flexibility.Do ensure that your release time is also pro rata as part timers can miss out on this sometimes.

3. They may count, as noted above but it depends on what you are doing. The Local Autrhority as the appropriate body is the body that can give you a definitive answer so contact the NQT adviser and ask for a ruling on this.
    The Sage

4. Thanks that's great! I will be completing planning for the classes that I cover too. I'll contact the local NQT advisor as suggested. Thanks for the help!