1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT year

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by lthomson2, Aug 21, 2011.

1. I am starting my NQT year this September and have been advised my by head of department that I can begin to create classroom displays and lessons to outline my classroom rules and expectations. I am a little nervous and wondered if anybody had any ideas how I may start or go about this, I am teaching MFL at a secondary school. Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Laura

2. I am starting my NQT year this September and have been advised my by head of department that I can begin to create classroom displays and lessons to outline my classroom rules and expectations. I am a little nervous and wondered if anybody had any ideas how I may start or go about this, I am teaching MFL at a secondary school. Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Laura

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Don't feel like you have to do too much too soon. In my NQT year I put up some posters that I had (not necessarily language related, just nice images and pictures to make it look good) and a few words to help students speak (e.g. Pardon madame, comment dit-on ... en français, est-ce que je peux aller aux toilettes, je voudrais un stylo, j'ai oublié mon cahier, etc). You'll want to leave some space for putting up pupils' work as well.
    I don't put rules up on the board. I usually print off a small sheet with them on and get pupils to stick them in the back of their book during the first lesson (I usually spend 10-15 minutes of the first lesson on that, then get started with proper teaching). But if that's what your department does, then I'd do the same.
    Do you get the chance to go in before the first day? If so, you can have a look at what other people have done in their classrooms, might be a good pointer.

4. I've got key classroom phrases like Noemie - I also have key words colour coded for question words/high frequency such as et/mais and connectives such as où/quand/si . I also have tense markers such as last year, yesterday followed by the most comon verbs with variations eg for the near future I use je vais/j'aimerais/je voudrais/j'espère on one poster then another poster with a list of inifinitives. I refer to these all the time. I've even threatened to do a nice subjunctive one for my sixth form but haven't got round to it.

5. I'm glad you asked this question, it is really useful to know what other people have done. Luckily I have stolen a few display ideas from my training school which have all the needed vocab for GCSE. I also wondered how you go about setting out the rules and if you have any nice ways of doing this in TL or any other ways of doing it than just 'here are the rules'. Any advice gladly received.
    thanks
    G. x

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Make sure that your list of rules and consequences fits in with the school's discipline code.

7. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy New commenter

Odd to expect you to do this at this stage, IMO. As was said, I shouldn't do too much too soon. It will likely take you most of your first termto even begin to feel comfortable with your own ability to teach, and at least 3 months to get to know the classes. Slow and steady ... and don't expect too much. Be prepared to make mistakes, and to learn rapidly as you go on. I can't believe, looking back, how useless I was on my first placement, but my second was a different matter.. and my first job a fresh start in a new place and many of the initial mistakes of course avoided. Worked a dream. Auguri!