1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

NQT year

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Roxyrox, Jul 11, 2009.

  1. Hi. I am new to this site, so hello everybody! Does anyone know how long you have to complete your NQT year when you work as a supply teacher? I have heard that the clock starts ticking as soon as you supply for just one day, but not sure how long you have to complete it. I am newly qualified and do not have a job for September. I don't know whether to risk working as a supply. I look forward to hearing from you.
  2. Hi Roxyrox, welcome to the forums! [​IMG]
    In short, you can do 16 months of short-term (less than one term) supply work before starting induction. This 16 month period begins on the first day of your first supply post - it's not a total of 16 months' work. (Does that make sense?) Any supply work that in for one term or more should count towards your induction.
    Please see http://www.tda.gov.uk/teachers/induction/faqs/popularquestions.aspx for further details.
    Best of luck!
  3. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    You are confusing two issues.
    The first is about how long you have to complete Induction. there used to be an expectation that you would complete Induction within 5 years of starting Induction but that was abandoned in Sept 2007 and there is now no time limit on completing Induction.

    The other issue is how long are you allowed to work on supply without having completed Induction?
    The answer to that is that there is a 16 month allowance in which you can take qualified teaching work that is not part of Induction (so, anything from one day of work to just under aterm's length). The 16 months counts down from the first day that you do non-Induction work after OFFICIALLY getting QTS. The allowance runs out 16 months later, irrespective of how much work you do in the 16 months. It is quite possible for someone to do a few days or weeks of daily supply bookings and then to find a school where Induction can be started. They could freach the 16 month expiry date with 1, 2 or even 3 Induction terms completed.
    If Induction is not completed when the allowance runs out, the only way that you are legally allowed to carry on taking non-Induction teaching in the State 5-16 sector is by applying to all the LEAs where you might get work and asking for an extension. You have to explain why it is not your fault that you haven't been able to complete Induction. They can refuse an extension or can offer up to 12 months more allowance. different LEAs may grant you different lengths of extension.
    Without an extension, you can only teach in the State Under 5's,Post 16 sector and the the Private Sector (any age).
    The 16 month allowance and the extension apply equally to work taken via an LEA or an agency. It's where you work, namely the State sector, that dictates whether you are legally allowed to be there or not.
    So, with an incomplete Induction and no more allowance left, you have to make sure that you have an Induction post lined up or stay away from State 5-16 education until you do get Induction work.
  4. Hi, can you help?

    I graduated in 2004, with primary QTS, I taught supply for over the 16 month period before taking a post in a private special school. I have been in the private sector since 2007 but my post is being made redunadant. As I now understand I am not eligable for supply work? How do I apply for extra time in order to gain experience and make myself 'employable' in order to get a post in a maintained school where I can complete my induction year?

    Hoping you can help. Many thanks.
  5. Another question....
    I have a job interview in a maintained special school catering for pupils with SEBD, would I be able to complete my induction period within this school? If not would I be unable to take the post?
    Scared I will have to give up on teaching.

  6. Georgia99

    Georgia99 New commenter

    I thought the 16 month rule had now been scrapped?
    There was something on the jobseekers forum discussing it. Althought correct me if I am wrong!!
  7. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    Any post of a term or longer in the maintained sector can count towards induction. However it will depend upon whether the Special School thinks the post is appropriate. There is nothing to legally prevent specials from doing induction but many do not participate as they cannot support induction requirements. The supply 16 months rule only applies to the maintained sector and kicks in from the first date of non induction supply work you undertake. The 16 months runs from that point regardless of how much or little supply you actually do.
  8. You have run out of daily supply cover time. You can take a supply cover post provided it lasts for at least a term as this means you have to be registered for induction. The post can be full time or part time. If it is part time then for the days that you are not working, you can do daily supply - so for example if you had a post that was 3 days per week that lasted for at least a term in length you would be on induction, for the other two days of the week you can take daily supply.
    You must apply to the local authority in which you wish to seek supply work and ask them for an extension to your supply work time. They can grant up to 12 months, it is at their discretion.
    You can take any work in a private or free school with no need to gain permission from the LA.


Share This Page